Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2007, 04:23 PM
Site Admin

Default Clackamas River (Bad News)

The rainstorms of last weekend have shut down Faraday Road. My girlfriend and I pedaled out for our bike camping trip just fine on Friday, but when we came back on Sunday, there was a huge mudslide across the road. There's no telling when or if it will be re-opened, meaning that for the indefinite future, bicycle expeditions up the Clackamas will require you pedal up around 3 miles of 7% grade going out, and 2 miles of 7% grade coming back.

More about it (plus pictures) on my blog. I'm planning to see if PGE knows if the road will reopen in weeks/months/years or never.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:33 PM
Site Admin

Damn. That's a favorite little side route to avoid some traffic.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:38 PM
Site Admin

Double dammit. That is a nice way to avoid the highway. No way to do the cyclocross thing & clamber over the slide?

let us know wat you find out from PGE - let 'em know this would be a good expenditure of all those $ they fleeced from us ratepayers...
Old 04-04-2007, 09:41 PM
Site Admin

I didn't even know this existed but I'm bummed! At least I have something to look forward to once it opens.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:48 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by endform View Post
I didn't even know this existed but I'm bummed! At least I have something to look forward to once it opens.
It's a great way to sidestep the highway for a stretch. The road is closed to motorized traffic for much of its length as it winds along the Clackamas river. That it avoids a biggish hill is a pleasant bonus.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:33 AM
Site Admin

The slide was impassable, and believe me when I tell you that if it had been even remotely possible to portage it, I would have found a way. I really did not want to have to go back to the main highway and over the hill, or to subject my girlfriend to that. (She was awesome about it, though -- just buckled down and did it.)

I contacted PGE, and they said that the slide will definitely be cleared, but they weren't able to give me a time-frame (I asked if they could say weeks, months, years, or never.) My guess is that maybe sometime before the end of the summer, though that's really not based on anything other than a sense that if there are definite plans to clear it, that it probably won't take as long as years.

Last edited by cyclotouriste; 04-05-2007 at 01:06 PM.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:16 AM
Site Admin

I've seen the PGE guys use that road, so I think they will clear it out pretty soon.

For those that have never been there, there is a nice parking area at the end of the road, I go there a lot because it's a moderate grade up hill and you can go for miles, then have an easy ride back. Very senic with several camp grounds and day use areas to stop in.