Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2006, 01:21 PM
Site Admin

Default Left turn signal onto Skidmore from Interstate

I have a regular route from a friends house that takes me south on Interstate. I then get in the left hand turn lane to try and make a left heading east onto Skidmore (crossing the MAX tracks).
I kept getting frustrated by the light not recognizing I was there waiting to make a left hand turn. Sometimes I would wait through 4 or 5 light changes, and still no left hand turn arrow. (With a steel bike, with an aluminum bike, right on the bike logo, a little to either side - still nothing...).

Yesterday I filled out on online form on Portlandonline.com telling the Office of Transportation about the problem I had been having with the light.

Within a coulpe of hours I got an e-mail from Roger Geller, the Bicycle Coordinator at the City of Portland Office of Transportation saying that the light signal shop would look at it. Wow!

Today, less than 24 hourss after my initial e-mail, Gerry, from the City of Portland signal shop called me to let me know he looked at the intersection and has painted a temporary bike logo to the right of the old logo - letting me know this is where I should line up until a permenant logo is put down. Wow again!

Just wanted to let others know that they should look for this temporary logo to line up on to get this turn signal to change to green.

Also wanted to rave about the the Office of Transportation and the maintenance crew!
Thanks guys!!! What service!!!
-happy biker-
Old 10-10-2006, 08:18 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB-PDX View Post
.........................snip..................
Just wanted to let others know that they should look for this temporary logo to line up on to get this turn signal to change to green.

Also wanted to rave about the the Office of Transportation and the maintenance crew!
Thanks guys!!! What service!!!
-happy biker-
I retired from the Maintenance Bureau after 25 years. It is a little known fact that customer service requests go to the head of the line. In other words, if I had a daily list of locations where some routine maintenance like drain grate cleaning needed to be done, and someone called in a problem at a certain location, I would do that one first and then return to "the list". Been that way since day one, which was 10-4-79 for me.

You can always send your message through Roger Geller, your neighborhood association, BTA or another advocacy group or some other level of the bureaucracy, but if it's just a routine maintenance call and doesn't require bridge building or land acquisition, call maintenance dispatch at 823-1700...That's who Roger will call most of the time.
Bill