Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Report your Close Calls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2006, 08:04 AM
Site Admin

Default Is that a bus on your shoulder?

I was threatened by a bus (bus 1421) this morning. I was heading westbound on Madison (approx. 7:40 AM). I was in the blue bike lane, waiting behind a different bus that was merging into traffic from the bus lane(the driver had red Yield triangle and left signal on) A second bus (bus 1421) had pulled up behind me in the bus lane.

When the light turned green traffic began to move smoothly Westbound. As I entered the intersection (SE Grand) the bus that was behind me, caught up and honked. I was between the bus and the traffic lane he wanted to merge into. I found this to be very threatening. The sudden appearance of the bus on my right prevented me from safely crossing to the marked bike lane of the Hawthorne overpass and was forcing me into the traffic lanes. After making menacing overtures, the bus slowed and I was allowed to safely cross SE Grand.

Once downtown, I caught up, the bus had become mired in traffic, and hollered "how about a little more space next time." He mouthed something, looked down at the latch on his drivers side window (it was closed), and ignored me. I didn't really expect anything more from him so I rode off.

I felt the driver was driving in a menacing manner and violating the safety of others on the road, not just myself. It is not appropriate or reasonable for a bus driver to threaten to run over or into things or people with a bus, even if the recipient of the threat is in violation of the law or in violation of what the bus driver perceives as his right.

I'm composing a letter to Trimet.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:16 AM
Site Admin

Hopefully you got the bus number (not just the route number) on the back of the bus...

I usually don't have trouble with the buses in Tigard, unless I'm driving. Yesterday it was a shorter TriMet bus "ping-ponging" between the lane lines down Upper Boones Ferry Rd.

Good luck!
Old 10-05-2006, 08:38 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagerdrone View Post
It is not appropriate or reasonable for a bus driver to threaten to run over or into things or people with a bus, even if the recipient of the threat is in violation of the law or in violation of what the bus driver perceives as his right.
Exactly. It's not legal either. This is the kind of thing we've got to work together to stop.

When you're riding, keep these things in mind:

A person commits the crime of menacing if by word or conduct the person intentionally attempts to place another person in fear of imminent serious physical injury. ORS 163.190(1)

A person commits the crime of recklessly endangering another person if the person recklessly engages in conduct which creates a substantial risk of serious physical injury to another person. ORS 163.195(1)

If you think a driver has committed one of these crimes against you, call the police and have the driver cited. It can be worth the (admittedly large) inconvenience, because it will make the driver less likely to do anything like that again. Even if the police won't cite the driver, the police report will be useful in any civil cause of action you may choose to pursue.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:52 PM
Site Admin

Do you have coffee before or after going to work?
Old 10-06-2006, 09:26 PM
Site Admin

Default no doubt

I have had a number of similar incidents at this intersection. I have not yet made any reports. I too, am now going to start writing down bus numbers and making reports. This has got to stop.
Old 10-08-2006, 04:16 PM
Site Admin

A person who uses a bus to endanger life should not be on the road. If a public bus is witnessed to be driving carelessly, this should be reported immediately. Someone I know was hospitalized by a bus while on his bike.