Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2013, 02:46 PM
Site Admin

Default 217 Corridor

I'm working my way back into commuting after an injury and change of jobs, and wondering if anybody has suggestions for a route from Beaverton Transit Center down to the Washington Square area (Nimbus & Hall, specifically)? Google maps says Cedar Hills blvd and Hall, but I bet there's better options. I'm coming from NE and was planning on taking max out and skipping the west hills till I'm in better shape.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:51 PM
Site Admin

Look up Watson (sb), 5th, Alger, 11th, Lee, and King... and onto the Fanno Creek trail.

Denney is the shakiest, but you have a sidewalk. 5th is the Beaverton "bikeway". Alger to the trail is residential. Once on Hall, you have a sidewalk or a bike lane.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:27 AM
Site Admin

Default Maps

SS, you can find online & print maps for Wash. Co., Beaverton & Tigard - as well as the City of Portland and other NW Oregon locales - here:

https://www.portlandoregon.gov/transportation/39402
Old 06-18-2013, 10:31 PM
Site Admin

Actually, since SS is at Nimbus and Hall anyway, just stop in at the visitor center and pick up the Washington Co. bike map. It is Excellent!

http://bikeportland.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4006
Old 06-18-2013, 11:25 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstator View Post
I'm working my way back into commuting after an injury and change of jobs, and wondering if anybody has suggestions for a route from Beaverton Transit Center down to the Washington Square area (Nimbus & Hall, specifically)? Google maps says Cedar Hills blvd and Hall, but I bet there's better options. I'm coming from NE and was planning on taking max out and skipping the west hills till I'm in better shape.
Good suggestions made to pick up free maps. Wash County Visitors Association map is good. Beaverton bike map is good too. Pick it up at city hall on Griffith, or maybe at bike shops on Hall and Canyon: Bike Gallery, or Performance: Hall and Center (in the little strip mall).

Suggested route from the Beav Transit Center to Hall/Nimbus: forget Cedar Hills Blvd. Right out of the transit center, Lombard...well signaled, big road allows mostly safe crossing of Beaverton's two thoroughfares from hell, leads south towards your destination...has decent bike lanes until Denney.

On Denney, you could turn west, and travel a short distance to catch Hall for a fast, straight shot to Nimbus. Okay bike lanes, lots of noisy car traffic. Or you could turn east at Denney, and as the other guys said, catch the slower Fanno Creek MUP trail south for a car-free, pastoral but pedestrian utilized route to Hall. From the Fanno Creek trail meeting with Hall, it's just a short distance on Hall to Nimbus.

May your injuries soon be a distant memory.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:36 AM
Site Admin

Don't forget to stop by Coventry CycleWorks at Hall and Nimbus (NE corner).
I got my Beaverton bike map there.

"Know when to hold 'em..." is also a good policy for taking the lane until you get past Farmington (hwy 10) going SB.

On the way back, I take the lane on Hall from Farmington (start finding a space to the left from 5th) all the way past TV Hwy (hwy and hold the left lane all the way across. Very easy to keep up with traffic; just be visible! That puts you right next to Beaverton Central.

Personally, I don't like Hall itself and go out of my way to avoid it. That long sweeping downhill to the left on the southbound is one that gets a lot of inattentive drivers to drift into the bike lane. Sure, if you gotta get somewhere in a hurry, go for it, but remember there are a lot of cars doing just that, only to be thwarted by the light at Greenway.

Watch out for parked car doors in Beaverton-proper!
Old 06-19-2013, 08:24 PM
Site Admin

Thanks, all. Some great information here. Rode for the first time since January last weekend, and I'm looking forward to getting the legs back!
Old 06-19-2013, 09:34 PM
Site Admin

OMG. I just realized I've had Beaverton TC and Sunset TC mixed up in my head this whole time. All the suggestions I've gotten make MUCH more sense now. Looks like a piece of cake, thanks again!
Old 06-19-2013, 10:13 PM
Site Admin

LOL! Yea, that's a whole 'nother kettle...

So which one are you stopping at?