Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > All About the West Side
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 02:08 PM
Site Admin

Thumbs up Powerline Trail / Walker Rd crossing being signalized in Beaverton

Another enhanced bicycle/pedestrian crossing in Washington County: I noticed yesterday that new traffic signals are being installed where the Beaverton powerline trail (not sure if that is the right name) crosses Walker Rd west of 158th near SW Delta Drive.

At first I thought this was prep for the future Westside Trail, but looking at those maps it appears the Westside Trail is planned to cross Walker east of 158th near Nike.

I don't know how much use the powerline trail gets from cyclists (looks like it is maybe 2 miles long, total), but the signalized crossing should definitely be good for pedestrians given Walker is 5 lanes and 45MPH at that location.

Google maps link: https://local.google.com/?ll=45.5189...&z=17&lci=bike
Old 01-31-2013, 04:14 PM
Site Admin

There is a nice MUP running between some of the housing developments there, and the many of the locals actually walk on it! Lots of folks actually walk from home to the Freddy's there to shop. I rarely ever see people on bikes, but for those on foot this is definitely a good thing, and better than a well-marked crosswalk with the strobe flashers. Motorists can't really be expected to see those and yield, right? (now where's that sarcasm font)
Old 01-31-2013, 05:58 PM
Site Admin

Good to see.

This trail is an access to Waterhouse which goes almost up to Cornell. This essentially provides a trail from Baseline to Cornell. There is one curb to contend with just N. or Baseline. It also gets you very close to Max.