Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2012, 03:24 PM
Site Admin

Default P-town to V-c loop...

I'm new to cycling and have rode down a few dead ends while getting my bearings, but its rare I look at those days as an empty experience... however. Returning from a simple looking 25 mile loop through two states left me feeling rattled and home bound for several days. I plan most of these rides with a glance at Google maps to find my streets and rough distances, but always with the understanding that covering new territory can be challenging at best and occasionally downright dangerous. Now, when your DRIVING over the I-5 bridge, you have little chance to take in view's of the river or Mt Hood, but you might think to yourself it could make for a nice ride someday. But I found access to the bridge loud and claustrophobic, but told myself the ride up river though Washington could make the crossing worth the ruckus. And the western end heading to the 205 was a nice enough ride but I soon found myself hopelessly lost and had to back track several miles after a wrong turn. Eager to find my way out I took the first thing that looked inviting, only to find myself on the shoulder of the 14 approaching exit 3. I decided to stay the course to the 205 and found this bridge to be just as loud, though much safer than straddling the third lane of the 14. And though I'm grateful for the pedestrian access provided by federal planners, there really wasn't much to be seen from the center causeway and with winds carrying dust and debris at me, I really couldn't get off of the structure quickly enough. Once again in Portland, on the ample and expansive series of safe, pleasant and soothing cycling paths, I opted to limp home with the beginnings of a pinched nerve in my neck. There must be a better way than the one I took, but from now on, I think I'll do most of my rides south of the Columbia.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:42 PM
Site Admin

I don't much enjoy that I-205 bridge bike path, either, but it isn't all that long and it connects some much nicer rides on both ends.

For two routes from I-5 to I-205 other than Hwy 14, see this thread: http://bikeportland.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3870 . I read that Vancouver has re-opened the waterfront path between Marine Park and Wintler Park from where it washed out the winter before last.

Vancouver has bike route maps on their website: http://www.cityofvancouver.us/bike.a...7&itemid=23511
Old 07-02-2012, 01:32 PM
Site Admin

I think you took it the best way, north on I-5 and south on I-205... I much prefer the descent down the I-205 than pedaling up it... although I've never taken the I-5 I know it's much shorter and the path doesn't seem very wide... I like the views from the I-205, if you can get a clear view in-between cars...

they would have served people better by running the path below the automobile grade on both bridges...

I've seen the overgrown paths that let you bike onto 14 but haven't had the need to go, and judging by their condition I don't think a lot of people use them... there are nice roads with bike paths that go east-west...
Old 07-02-2012, 08:39 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy View Post
they would have served people better by running the path below the automobile grade on both bridges.
I like bridges with the bike/ped path on the same level as the road, maybe a step above the roadway, but put the path on the outside of the roadway, preferably on both sides. Examples are the St. Johns Bridge (needs wider walks), the Golden Gate (tourists one side, commuters on the other, works well), or Lake Washington Floating Bridge (but it's only one side, and it's only barely wide enough for two-way traffic). Putting it underneath has security concerns like were discussed for the CRC plan..