Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > All About the West Side
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2011, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Question Interested in a safer Fanno Creek-Hall Blvd crossing?

Interested in a safer Fanno Creek-Hall Blvd crossing?

Join us for an Open House
Wednesday, September 21 (2011)
6:30-8:30 p.m.

Conestoga Rec Center
9985 SW 125th Avenue
Beaverton, OR 97008

Formal presentation at 7:00 pm
Get an overview of the project's
purpose and schedule, and learn
about crossing alternatives that
are under consideration. Project
staff will be on hand to answer
questions and discuss concerns
citizens may have about the pro-
ject. We Hope you will join us!

For more information:
Brad Hauschild, Park Planner
Tualatin Hills Park & Recreation
503 629 6305 x2931
bhauschi@thprd.org

www.FannoCrossingHall.org

Last edited by K'Tesh; 09-17-2011 at 10:47 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:28 PM
Site Admin

I attended the open house last night. For those that missed it you can review the 4 options on the web site K'Tesh posted above, and you can then indicate which you prefer and reasons in the online comment card. Survey closes on Monday the 26th, so don't wait.

I was disappointed to learn that there is no funding beyond the design at this point, once the preferred option is selected and approved by Beaverton and THPRD they will start applying for funding. Given the current mood in Congress to slash the transportation budget, starting with "extras" like ped and bike funding, we may not see any actual construction for years.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Default photos of the event.

I've uploaded the photos and videos I took (sorry about the quality) on flickr.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:38 PM
Site Admin

Care to lay odds? I see a crossing coming... none of the others are attractive to me. The raised road is ugly and the bridges are very expensive. A few signs; a couple of lights; and a center island is sufficient... it is a "midstreet crosswalk" which they hate doing but I think they already know it is the only choice they really have.

Last edited by Simple Nature; 07-20-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Lightbulb Don't bet on it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Nature View Post
Care to lay odds? I see a crossing coming... none of the others are attractive to me. The raised road is ugly and the bridges are very expensive. A few signs; a couple of lights; and a center island is sufficient... it is a "midstreet crosswalk" which they hate doing but I think they already know it is the only choice they really have.
I can tell you with a fair degree of certainty, an "at grade" crossing will never happen here unless cars go away. Queuing for the left turn will prevent the center island from being made. A traffic engineer was there, and even with two left turn lanes, and SW 125th being factored into the equation, she was able to show that the queues would extend almost all the way back to SW Nimbus in only a few years.

My first choice is the underpass (so long as it can be kept mud free), 2nd is the spiraling overpass, but I'd want a longer spiral to reduce the angle for cyclists and wheelchairists alike.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:55 AM
Site Admin

My first choice is the at-grade crossing. It would be really cheap except for the need to add a second left turn lane, and if what K'Tesh said in the previous response was accurate those will be needed just to handle traffic growth anyway.

My second choice is the tunnel. It is the best option to make Hall a "non-event" for trail users. I didn't make it my first choice because it is the most expensive. If it becomes the preferred alternative getting that amount of money will probably be harder / take longer, and therefore we will have to put up with the status quo for more years.

I don't like either overpass option. Every overpass I've seen is an eyesore. If it must be an overpass I prefer the straight ramps. I foresee conflicts between cyclists and other trail users going around the spiral ramps. So my third choice was the straight ramp and the spiral was dead last.

Dave
Old 07-20-2012, 02:15 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Nature View Post
Told Ya!