Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2011, 02:57 PM
Site Admin

Default Springwater Corridor Trail quesiton

well i finally did it; last weekend I rode from my home (near sunset hs) to the beaverton transit center; took the Max to the 2nd/Oak Street stop; got off, then got on my bike, crossed over Naito and joined the waterfront trail. I then crossed the steel bridge and rode all the way down the esplanade and joined the springwater trail near OMSI; picked it back up at SE 19th/Ochoco and rode it as far as I could. However, I rode to a point where the pavement suddenly stopped. I could not tell where I was (I stupidly forgot to download/install the mapmyride iPhone app before leaving and I was apparently in a data dead spot) . As far as I recall, I think I had just crossed 267th; but was disappointed that I never made it all the way to Boring (I was starving at this point, but instead of eating out there, i just turned around and picked some place in sellwood to eat before getting back on the willamette portion and heading home).

Why does the pavement end?
Does it pick back up at some point?
IS there an actual "site" to be seen in Boring at the end of the trail? The google maps app indicates the whole trail actually goes even further than Boring but I could find no real evidence. Help please
Old 08-03-2011, 05:31 PM
Site Admin

Without looking at the map, I went with the Roam crowd Eastbound for nearly 20 miles. There is one spot where the trial seems to "fork" to the North. One of the Roam riders missed it and I went to chase him down. I would have never known about the offset except for this event and watchful spotters.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:16 AM
Site Admin

Default Hooray for Springwater!

Yes, at 267th Springwater runs out of spring and turns into a dirt trail. Telford road runs parallel to it for a bit. I've never gone down the trail beyond Boring, but scenic downtown Boring can be seen by taking hwy 212 left [east] at the end of Telford. I love going out that way and returning via 212 into the Sunnyside hills. Sunnyside connects up to I-205 path so you get a lot of quality time in quality bike paths and spacious shoulders.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:39 AM
Site Admin

Default Springwater is scheduled to be extented

Currently the pavement ends at 267th (aka Rugg Road), with a gravel portion of the trail extending another 2.25 miles into Boring. Use the parallel Telford Rd. to get to Boring if you don't want to ride the gravel. From Boring the trail is being extended to Hwy 224 at Barton. This section is known as the Cazadero Trail. I'm not sure what the completion date is supposed to be (2012?), but the entire path will eventually be paved. I believe construction is underway. Hwy 224 has wide shoulders all the way to Estacada and beyond. When these sections are complete, and the Sellwood Gap closed, we'll have a continuous paved path from Portland to Barton.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:25 AM
Site Admin

LOL "the Springwater runs out of Spring"

I know I'm gushing, but this was something I'd been wanting to do since like 2008 and just had never found the time (stupid, I know). The trail is BEAUTIFUL and according to the bike maps I'm seeing it looks like its the longest path in Portland; is this true? I was thinking of trying to do a complete loop around the city (using Springwater at the south; going up north somehow and catching the marine dr one and back down south again) any suggestions?
Old 08-04-2011, 10:04 AM
Site Admin

Ty for info Bent Bloke