Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2011, 05:26 PM
Site Admin

Default Thompson Road closure

Is Thompson Road still closed from Skyline to Cornell?
Old 04-07-2011, 07:44 AM
Site Admin

Default still closed? sort of...

here's the latest press release i could find on the Multnomah Co. website:

http://web.multco.us/pressrelease/20...epairs-studied

i went through (by bike) a few weeks ago - there's a short (50') barricaded section where 3 feet or so of the downhill edge of the road has sloughed off. Not safe to drive, but easy (and seemingly safe) enough to get through on foot. Someone had even scooted the barricades slightly apart so it was relatively easy to walk through. I would guess it's closed to bikes/peds for liability reasons.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:06 AM
Site Admin

it is still technically closed (as of yesterday at least). as jeff mentioned it is definitely passable by bike although they clearly do not want anyone doing so (sign says 'no bikes/peds').

for an alternate route in either direction you can use 53rd - its a little bit harder climb than thompson (and includes climbing in both directions) but feels more secluded and woodsy...
Old 04-07-2011, 09:15 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumbprinterr View Post
it is still technically closed (as of yesterday at least). as jeff mentioned it is definitely passable by bike although they clearly do not want anyone doing so (sign says 'no bikes/peds').

for an alternate route in either direction you can use 53rd - its a little bit harder climb than thompson (and includes climbing in both directions) but feels more secluded and woodsy...
I didn't know where the problem was, and I've never been on 53rd, so that would be a great way to go. Thanks.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:51 AM
Site Admin

Default 53rd

Went up 53rd for the first time. Talk about steep! My Garmin was showing anywhere from 15-20% in most spots. Good challenge.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:27 PM
Site Admin

i doubt there is really anything above 15% on there; garmin has been known to be a little inaccurate in that regard...

in any case it is a tough climb and the first 1/2 mile is definitely much steeper than any part of thompson. i agree that its a good challenge. one of the first times i went up it i charged pretty hard through the first couple of turns and totally blew myself up - pacing is good!
Old 06-16-2011, 05:56 PM
Site Admin

Default Thompson STILL closed!

I went out last weekend and decided to press on past the various barricades to see how awful the damage was, since the road has been closed for sooooo long.

Turns out, not so bad if you're not hauling down in the Miata. The photo at the link below pretty much shows the extent of the devastation. A foot of pavement fell off the roadbed as things were shoved in that direction by an unstable slope, with some damage across the pavement.

It was a pain lifting my bike over the jersey barriers on the downhill side, and a little less problem following the tracks to push around the end of the barrier on the uphill side of things.

The road is out of commission. I get it. No work is being done to fix it until a lot of engineering is completed in County or contractor offices to figure out how to bring things back up to standard.

But if you're there when nobody is looking or doing work, and if you manage your downhill speed with those cracks and ruts running across the roadway firmly in mind, and knowing that the barriers really will prevent emergency vehicles from reaching you should you wipe out, the photo taken in snow time does represent what the road is like now.

http://www.cedarmill.org/news/611/thompson.html