Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2011, 09:38 AM
Site Admin

Default Map My Ride et. al.

I'm a bit new to using Map My Ride. I haven't taken a plunge for a paid membership, yet. It appears to work quite well, but I'm unsure what the advantages of MMR are over other sources. What I like is it spits out a route fairly fast, with the important info. such as elevation and gradients. I'm no stranger to all manner of Nat. Geo, and Garmin based mapping and data software, but the online offerings are new turf for me.

What I'm curious of . . . does Map My Ride usually select roads you'd consider the optimal choices for cycling? I did a quick route from Banks to Tigard and it chose the Beaverton - Hillsboro Hwy. as a primary transect. Not sure that would be my optimal choice, but it works. So, what's your favorite of the many route / mapping online-software choices? Give me the scoop of pros / cons. I ride a touring bike with a plastic map case and printed map. I prefer that to a bar mounted map computer such as the larger Garmin.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:31 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacorota View Post
I'm a bit new to using Map My Ride. I haven't taken a plunge for a paid membership, yet. It appears to work quite well, but I'm unsure what the advantages of MMR are over other sources. What I like is it spits out a route fairly fast, with the important info. such as elevation and gradients. I'm no stranger to all manner of Nat. Geo, and Garmin based mapping and data software, but the online offerings are new turf for me.

What I'm curious of . . . does Map My Ride usually select roads you'd consider the optimal choices for cycling? I did a quick route from Banks to Tigard and it chose the Beaverton - Hillsboro Hwy. as a primary transect. Not sure that would be my optimal choice, but it works. So, what's your favorite of the many route / mapping online-software choices? Give me the scoop of pros / cons. I ride a touring bike with a plastic map case and printed map. I prefer that to a bar mounted map computer such as the larger Garmin.
Lacorota,
I've been using MapMyRide.com since 2007, and I map every single ride of mine on there. They have a great training log which I use to track every ride, including time taken, maximum and average speed, etc. It calculates Calories burned and everything. You can even use it to keep track of your gear (I don't).

You can see all of the routes I've mapped here:
http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/my_r...ername=jr98664

Back when I started, it was free, but I've never had to pay, as most of the basic mapping and logging features are free. One paid feature that might interest you is the ability to print out your maps.

As for the routes, a word of caution: it just seems to use Google Map's driving (with or without freeways) or walking directions, depending on which options you select. As a fearless cyclist, this works great for me most of the time, but it really shouldn't be used without knowledge of the routes. I often plan out routes using Google Maps drag and drop, and then map it on MMR to see hills and elevation.

Having used MMR for four years, I plan to keep using it for the foreseeable future. Hope this helps.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:40 AM
Site Admin

I also have the Map My Ride app for my phone and use the website as well.

I have the free app, but am considering upgrading to a paid subscription. I want to be able to print out my routes, or other people's routes, and be able to participate more fully and use more of the functions than I currently do.

I've found that the free app and free subscription works great for me, and I love the calculating function, and the log of all my rides and walks.

That said, I usually use something like bikely to plan routes, or bycycle. I've also used google maps to plan my route. I guess I just like the variety!
Old 03-17-2011, 04:11 PM
Site Admin

I can't stand all the ads on Map My Ride. I prefer BikeRouteToaster, which has both OSM and Google maps available, easily saves and shares routes, generates .gps files, and has very limited ads.