Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2010, 08:17 AM
Site Admin

Default Ride on Glen Jackson?

Hi there,

I'm going to McMenamins on the Columbia today. I hate heights and the I-5 Bridge is too much for me sometimes. Soooooo...... I was thinking of the Glen Jackson. I can use that bridge to cross the Columbia, right?

Thanks
Old 09-12-2010, 09:53 AM
Site Admin

It's a bit out of the way to get down to McMenamins, which is almost just off of the Interstate bridge. If heights are your main concern though, the bike path on the I-205 bridge is sandwiched between the opposing directions of traffic, keeping you a good 60 feet from peering over the edge. This makes for a rather loud ride, all while cycling uphill for two miles.

But to answer your question, there is a bike path across the I-205 bridge. To get on it heading north, just follow the I-205 bike path north past Airport Way and take a left onto the bridge. From Vancouver, it's accessed from SE 23rd Street, just off of Ellsworth Road, just south of SR 14.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:32 AM
Site Admin

Wink thanks

I'll take the noise over being two feet away from my demise. I teach grade school, noise doesn't bother me.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:09 PM
Site Admin

for as far out of the way as you'd have to go just to get to the I-205 bridge you could just walk across the bridge portion of I-5...

but yeah, the I-205 path in the middle of the bridge is pretty nice... other than it's a slight uphill to the 'Couve, a bit loud, and boring... but with the construction the cars will be slower with not as many lanes of them...
Old 09-12-2010, 04:55 PM
Site Admin

Default Took I-205

Well, I took the Glen Jackson over the Columbia. It is loud, truth in advertising! I didn't mind adding the extra miles and got there without a coronary like I usually do. I'll probably use that way from now on. Thanks for the tips.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:26 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by drosen View Post
Well, I took the Glen Jackson over the Columbia. It is loud, truth in advertising! I didn't mind adding the extra miles and got there without a coronary like I usually do. I'll probably use that way from now on. Thanks for the tips.
FWIW: if you're heading all the way out east, there's another McMenamin's at NE162nd & 18th. Not the most attractive location, IMO:
http://www.mcmenamins.com/303-mcmena...vancouver-home

Guru to the hot dog vendor:
"Make me one with everything."