Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2010, 02:46 PM
Site Admin

Default Forest Park

Once the weather sorts itself out, I want to try and get all of the legal Forest Park trail in 1 day. The best I've found is about 30mi and the Forest Park mtb map, which being a pdf is a bit difficult to use as a planning method. Are they in any mapping programs to get elevations?

Any ideas on route? I'd like to do each uphill only once and minimize riding parts twice. Skyline, Leif and Hwy 30 for traversing between the firelanes. I'll probably do the length of Leif last, N-S to get back to downtown. [Leif Erikson Road, Saltzman Road, Springville Road, BPA Road, Newton Street, Firelanes 1,3,5,10,12, 15 & Holman Lane (uphill only).]

Climb Holman Lane to FL1 (via 53rd), descend to HW30
Out HW30 to Saltzman and climb
Descend FL5
Take Leif, descend the lower spur of Springville, then climb to the top.
Descend Germantown to FL10, loop the extension,
Down Newton
Up FL12, hitting the spur to BPA, and then FL15
Back on Skyline, down BPA
Up Germantown to Leif, do FL 3 up and down, out on Leif.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:43 AM
Site Admin

looks like a very fun trip.
it's been long enough since i've ridden some of those, that I don't remember which FLs are easier to climb.
The only minor edit I'd make to your plan is: don't do the lower springville spur on your way out...instead, on your way back in, just climb springville to Leif, instead of riding on Germantown.

i might have to see if i can find a time to do a similar trip
Old 03-26-2010, 07:54 PM
Site Admin

count me in! lemme know when you are doing it...
Old 03-26-2010, 08:22 PM
Site Admin

btw any interest in riding parts of that route tomorrow (saturday) in the early afternoon? i was thinking about climbing saltzman, down FL5, north on leif across g-town to FL10, up newton to skyline, north to FL15 then taking the turn to the BPA road, down to the 30 and back home (across the st. johns bridge).... i haven't been on 15 or the bpa road before...
Old 03-26-2010, 08:50 PM
Site Admin

Unfortunately, I'm still making repairs to my mountain bike, So I'm out until I get a few things straightened out. The worn crankset is skipping when I put any power down, so I need some new teeth before climbing anything,

I either need to go up Saltzman and back down or climb it and descend on Germantown. If I dont do Saltzman both ways I'd miss a mile or two of Leif if I climbed the lower part on the way back.

I'll have to do some scouting north of Germantown to see which ones are best to climb.