Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2009, 01:00 PM
Site Admin

Default NE commuters re:Broadway Construction

J. Maus just twittered a PBOT notification. I went to PBOT web site for info. Starting Monday NE Broadway between Grand and Williams will have up to 2 lanes closed 24/7 for up to 10 weeks. No mention of which side of road and how this will effect bike lane. Anyone have connections there to get an answer??? How that might effect bike commute come Monday Morning? I e-mailed PBOT and received the out of office reply.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:33 PM
The Management
Site Admin

hey bobcycle,

i rode by the construction zone this morning and starting at Broadway going east from MLK they have made a dedicated bike lane out of traffic cones on the north side of the street.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Question So... Where's the Pics?

There otta be pics...

Help those of us who may be heading in that way soon visualize what we're going to be up against.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh
Old 01-12-2010, 07:32 AM
Site Admin

I've taken this route several times since my original post and found a different situation each time. Each time the bike lane has remained open though equipment and workers do occasionally encroach the right of way requiring a slower speed and heightened alertness through the area. But this is Broadway so maybe nothings different, this area always takes a "heightened alertness" to deal with multitude of drivers and turning situations. (Last week on Broadway and MLK a woman pulled out in front of me from a store parking lot then told me to Get the F**K out of the road, I was in bikelane when she pulled out but swerved into road to avoid collision ) I'll try to get picts of construction next time through the area. I did e-mail PBOT with questions but never heard back from them on whether this construction would effect bike lane in upcoming weeks, so my comment about "anyone with connections" still holds. Better to know the plan before heading out then to have to see what awaits you when you get there.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:26 PM
Site Admin

Default Afternoon of 1-12-10

Just got back with some pics and as you can see they have shut down part of NE Broadway bikelane and cyclists are forced into narrow auto lanes. Use caution be safe. I often wonder why they couldn't put up signs to the effect "CAUTION BICYCLES IN CAR LANE" when they abruptly close bike lanes. Of course bikes can often be in auto lane when no bike lane exists but I believe many commuters are accustomed to bikers in bike lanes on NE Broadway so to keep it safe signage would be nice.

Last edited by bobcycle; 01-14-2010 at 08:13 AM. Reason: add pictures
Old 01-13-2010, 08:29 AM
Site Admin

Bobcycle, I'm surprised they didn't put up a "Bikes in the Roadway" sign. There have been a bunch of metal beams on NE Oregon around NE 7 that is taking up the bike lane and most of the right lane. They have a bikes in the roadway sign there.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Lightbulb Fixing broken image links...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcycle View Post
May be having trouble with picture posts so I linked my FLICKR account.
Hi bobcycle,

Today I'm not at work, so I can help you some more...

On your Flickr account, there's an "ALL SIZES" button, that will show you different sizes that you can share (I typically choose Medium). Select your size, and below the image displayed is the link. Copy the link...

Then, on the Forum's editor, you select the "Insert Image () tool, and paste the link.

Flickr wants you to post a link back to the original image, so go back to the image, and copy the URL of that page. In the Forum's editor, highlight the [open bracket IMG]imageURL[/IMG close bracket]*, then hit the Insert Link (), and paste the url.

When you hit Submit Reply, your image will show up, and also link back to the original.

I would have fixed the link in your post (as the Super Moderator, I can do that), but I don't know which image you wanted to link too specifically. That said, you can still edit your post, and fix it yourself now (helps if you Preview Post before you Submit Reply).

All The Best!
K'Tesh

*Had to modify the tags "[" "]" so you could read the instructions, and the forum editor wouldn't treat it as an actual tag.

Last edited by K'Tesh; 01-13-2010 at 03:06 PM.