Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Book Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2009, 08:38 PM
Site Admin

Default Looking for the title/author

Several years back I read a account of a middle aged chain smoking writer who was between gigs for 3 months one summer and rode cross country from Virginia to California.. smoking and staying in motels nightly, keeping the story on his laptop. He was an unlikely touring cyclist who knew nothing about bikes/maintainance was totally unprepared for his trip.

Maybe its because I identify with him,but it was a good read. Does anybody have an idea of its title and/or author? I seem to have misplaced that memory....
Old 02-02-2009, 11:20 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgadamski View Post
Several years back I read a account of a middle aged chain smoking writer who was between gigs for 3 months one summer and rode cross country from Virginia to California.. smoking and staying in motels nightly, keeping the story on his laptop. He was an unlikely touring cyclist who knew nothing about bikes/maintainance was totally unprepared for his trip.

Maybe its because I identify with him,but it was a good read. Does anybody have an idea of its title and/or author? I seem to have misplaced that memory....
A good place to look for information on cycle touring is a website called crazyguyonabike.com. Thousands of people post their journals online there. If you post this information on that website you'd have a better response. Oh, and if you do find out your info, please post here, as i would be interested on reading his accounts.

thanks
Old 02-08-2009, 04:23 PM
Site Admin

Default I found it..

after a lot of searches, it finally came up. now to go to my LBS ( local BOOK store) and order a new copy..

Over the Hills:: A Midlife Escape Across America by Bicycle
Product Category : Books
ISBN : 0812925793
Title : Over the Hills:: A Midlife Escape Across America by Bicycle
Authors : David Lamb