Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2006, 12:07 PM
Site Admin

Default NE to Washington Sq

Hello people...
I want to ride my bicycle to work, I'm looking for advice on the best / safest way to go from my house in NE portland (close to Kennedy School) to the Washington Sq area ... suggestions?

PS
new to the board here, saw the post regarding Sylvan options, any opinions on taking Barbur/Beaverton Hillsdale to avoid the 'big' climb?

PPS 6/5/06 Thanks to all the suggestions so far!!
Old 06-05-2006, 07:40 AM
Site Admin

Yeah, you could come up Barbur/99 up to Hall Blvd. I believe Hall has a bike lane all the way up to the Washington Square area. I've ridden Hall before but I would turn off before reaching Washington Square. Be aware though that you'll be trading one climb for another. If you come Barbur/99 you'll have to climb Capital Hill. I've never ridden Sylvan so I can't compare the two but Capital can be a challenge.

You might want to stop by a bike shop (Bike Gallery, River City) and pick up a Bike There Map (~$6). It'll show you where the bike lanes are and auto traffic levels. It'll help you plan your route.

Good Luck!
Old 06-05-2006, 07:49 AM
The Management
Site Admin

And don't forget to check out the ByCycle Trip Planner. It's like Mapquest but specifically for bike-friendly routes.

And it was developed right here in Portland!

You can see this in my sidebar at http://bikeportland.org, or go to

http://tripplanner.bycycle.org/ and select "Portland, OR"

Good luck.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:40 AM
Site Admin

I can't really help you with the NE part (my commute is Tigard <-> Marquam Hill) but I can tell you that in my opinion it's better to take Barbur than Sylvan. If you want to avoid the climb up to Capital Hill (which is quite steep but I kinda like it), there's another route you could take:

((Not sure how familiar you are with the area, so you might want to look this up on Google Maps))

Going South on Barbur you can take Multnomah, then take a Left on 71st (a few blocks before Olsen Rd). 71st turns into Alden which takes you to 80th. Take a Left on 80th (which has a bike lane), take a Right on Taylors Ferry (first stop sign). The next stop sign is Washington St - take a Left and that will take you to Hall Blvd, where you make a Right and go to Wash Sq

Hope this helps. Let me know if my directions aren't very clear.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:03 AM
Site Admin

Ah yes, Multhomah...that's a nice road. Good call peregrine. You should check out Old Market Pub if you take that route, good stuff.

I like to use a combo of the Bike There Map and Google Maps to find routes. Try using the satellite feature. You can zoom way in and really see what the street is like; i.e. wide, narrow, shoulder, etc.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:39 AM
Site Admin

I'll second the recomendation on the Multhnomah route. Slight climb to get to the intersection but once on Multhnomah you can ave 20 -24 from just past Multnomah vilage to the OMP (Old Mkt Pub). Be sure to take the left that peregrine talks about to avoid the Olsen/Garden Home intersection. If you're going to the Lincoln center area continue on down 80th and turn right on Locust.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:30 PM
Site Admin

Heh, I've passed by the Old Mkt Pub soooooo many times but I've never been inside :( .... I'm not sure why... So you guys would recommend it? Looks like I've been missing out

[[sorry for the hijack]]
Old 06-05-2006, 07:51 PM
Site Admin

Definately stop and have a brew there. This is my neighbohood Pub. They brew their own suds and have a prety good menu. Also they have 4 pool tables and 3 shuffel board tables and a few big screen TVs (outside seating also). Check it out ... I prefer the Mr. Toads red .... ;-)
Old 08-19-2006, 09:46 PM
Site Admin

Default A Comment and a Question

I ride from SE to the Washington Square area. I'm pretty new to it and have been taking Olsen. I've thought there was a better way and I'm glad to have found the Left on 71st from Multahnomah way. I'll definitly be taking that from now on. It's looks like they are updating olsen though and I would be very surprised if they didn't add a nice bike lane later this year or early next year.

I have another question...
When I'm riding back from West to SE. There is a weird intersection, the one where Old Market Pub is located, and the bike lane is blue and it cuts across a street. I'm a little confused on how to handle that area. I usually signal and go for it, but I'm really nervous about getting hit by a car going straight while I'm going left.

Any thoughts?