Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2008, 09:09 PM
Site Admin

Question Better N/S streets into Northeast

I've been riding to work for about 4 months now and am hooked. But I've been I'm wondering if there's a better N/S route for getting to/from Northeast. I live up on Rosa Parks between 17th and 18th, so Vancouver/Williams is my daily ride most days. Sometimes I'll take Interstate. This is fine unless I have to go up into Hollywood, or anyplace farther east than 15th, where I usually end up riding all the way back down to Williams to head home. 15th seems undesirable because of the hill and the speed bumps, and 33rd also seems like a bad idea unless I'm in a real hill challenge kind of mood. 42nd as well.

So are there other routes that are also good? Or do I just need to suck it up and get climbing?
Old 09-30-2008, 10:58 PM
Site Admin

I've found Portland's bike map to be rather helpful. 9th, 18th, 27th/29th, and 37th/38th are marked as low-traffic streets. While Williams has a gentle grade throughout, each of these avenues tend to have one block or so that is much steeper, with the tradeoff of being otherwise flat. Why not take Tillamook west to 18th, and then take that (and 17th) all the way up to Rosa Parks. Mind you, there is a hill around Skidmore of no more than a block or two, but at least the rest is relatively flat. Even walking up that one block would be quicker than riding all the way over to Williams. I hope this helps.