Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2008, 03:54 PM
Site Admin

Default Praise be to the Route!

Some unprompted random praise...

I don't have a whole lot of experience on the other routes, but I have to say, that SE Lincoln/Harrison is the nicest neighborhood route I've been on. Smooth pavement, minimal uncontrolled crossings, no bizarre zig-zag connections... even with the construction on 60th.

In fact CoP has gone above and beyond with the construction on 60th. I am going to miss the extra attention the flaggers pay to bicycles and pedestrians. They've turned one of the least safe intersections/crossings on my route into one of the safest.

One minor drawback... heading East, it's pretty much all uphill until you get over Mt. Tabor.

Tip for speed freaks: The lights on 39th and 47th(?) are timed so if you're sitting at one and get a good jump when the light turns green you can make the second one, but you have to average about 16-19 mph. I think this works either direction.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:42 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by beelnite View Post
One minor drawback... heading East, it's pretty much all uphill until you get over Mt. Tabor.
Well yeah, but looking at it the other way, it's all downhill from Mt. Tabor to Ladd's Addition!

I love this bike route too, as it's near my home and I start and end nearly every ride I do on it.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:10 AM
Site Admin

Unhappy

When I lived near 72nd and Foster, I used the Lincoln route inbound, and took Clinton/Woodward to return. Even though the elevation gain totals the same, the Clinton route seemed to have a gentler grade. It doesn't seem to have a hill equivalent to the 20th to 29th hill on Lincoln.

Lincoln is a nice route. I wish they hadn't put in the 4-way stop at 26th cuts my momentum.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:49 AM
Site Admin

Default Agreed on 26th

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheRoad View Post

Lincoln is a nice route. I wish they hadn't put in the 4-way stop at 26th cuts my momentum.
That is the Stop sign that tempts me the most... and yes I usually blow it heading downhill if no one is around because the visibility is good.

Oh the guilt! I try to make up for it by obeying the Ladd Circle stop signs.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:48 PM
Site Admin

Default Physics or optical illusion?

I also praise this thoroughfare. I use this hill when I take the "scenic route" home from Clackamas using Springwater down to and along the river then back up the hill to home.
Does anyone else experience this: the stretch from 20th to 29th looks onerous but I cruise on up it, but there's this one hump around 54th that just stops me in my tracks. Its only 2 blocks and looks like a hill but nothing special. Its it steeper than it looks because its short?
Old 04-11-2008, 07:31 AM
Site Admin

Default Light to 60th

Oldguy - I hear you... and I have the same experience. That hill after the light on 47th is short and a quick sprint gets you up it BUT...

There's a deceptive and uphill grade all the way to 60th so it's tough to get any momentum. I find that after the sprint it's all I can do keep her over 10 mph especially at the end of the week. You get any kind of wind and it seems exponential in difficulty.

For me I think my aging legs just can't recover quick enough and there's just enough resistance to prevent a rebound.

Cross 60th and suddenly it feels better. Oh crud, now Tabor.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:18 PM
Site Admin

Default The Lincoln Hill

I agree that Lincoln eastbound around 54th is pretty steep. It gets my heart rate up but at least it's pretty short too. You know it's steep because when you go the other way you get some pretty good speed