Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Tips & Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2007, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Exclamation Lights... What do You use? Why?

I'm surprised that there is no gear review forum here... so let's start one..

What do I use?
Personally I'm currently using 2 NR MiNewt X2's (one bar mounted and one helmet) and a NR TriNewt, as well as an older Cateye EL400 (as a backup should I find my other systems completly drained) for forward illumination.

For tail lights, I've got two Planet Bike Superflash lights (one on my backpack, one on the underseat bag), Planet Bike helmet mounted tail light, the NR Universal Tail Light (running off a 6V NR Evolution Smart battery), and
2 Performance ViewPoint tail lights (on the backpack).

I don't think I'll need any more lights for a while (Unless something breaks, then I'll fall back to my NR Evolution Smart systems).

Why? (sure there's legal requirements, but beyond that)

Me, I ride 24/7/365, I don't own a car, and I commute on Hwy 217 (yes, that's legal). I also do recreational riding year round, sometimes getting home several hours after dark. So, I need very powerful lights w/long run times. That, and I've been bounced off of cars twice this year once in daytime (8/17/7), once at 7pm in a parking lot (10/12/7). I'm not paranoid, they really do seem to be out to get me...

So, What do you use?

Keep on Riding
K'Tesh

http://beam.to/ufobike

Last edited by K'Tesh; 10-16-2008 at 09:48 AM. Reason: fixed smilie
Old 10-16-2007, 09:44 AM
Site Admin

Default lights

I use the Light and Motion solo on my helmet. It has 3 hours run time that's more than enough for my work commute. It illuminates the springwater trail really well in complete darkness. I really like this light, and it's comparatively less expensive than the other light systems (they can get really pricey). In the past I've used the Niterider Road Rat (not bright enough) and the Niterider UltraFazer Max (total piece of crap: not nearly bright enough to illuminate the trail and fell apart in a few weeks). I've also briefly used the NiteHawk dual lighting system which I also found to be sub-par.

I'd appreciate any suggestions for a good tail light. I'd like to use just one. Cost is a factor.

For my rear light I use some piece of crap multi-flash mode light. I don't remember exactly who makes it, but I'll post that info when I have a chance to look at it as I would strongly advise against anyone purchasing it.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:36 AM
Site Admin

I use a Blackburn w/ NiCad batt pack that has a nice intense front beam that I feel safe with. I, too, use the rinky-dink $20 back lights.
During the Portland Century this was a guy that had the most intense back light I've ever seen. I asked him about it and he said he got it off the web for ~$100. COmpany starts with a "P" (I think). A lot of money for a back light, but I tell you this light was tiny and amazing. Anyone know what it is?
Old 10-16-2007, 10:47 AM
Site Admin

Default rear light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguyonabike View Post
I use a Blackburn w/ NiCad batt pack that has a nice intense front beam that I feel safe with. I, too, use the rinky-dink $20 back lights.
During the Portland Century this was a guy that had the most intense back light I've ever seen. I asked him about it and he said he got it off the web for ~$100. COmpany starts with a "P" (I think). A lot of money for a back light, but I tell you this light was tiny and amazing. Anyone know what it is?
I know Dinotte makes a totally badass rear light, but it MSRP is $169 which is too far above my price range: http://store.dinottelighting.com/sha...t=products.asp

Last edited by mizake; 10-16-2007 at 10:48 AM. Reason: price went up! holy crap $169!
Old 10-16-2007, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Planet Bike's Superflash is a very bright seemingly durable tail light, but I'd be careful w/them after changing the battery... I lost two of em's guts (battery, electronics, and lenses) perhaps from being bumped around on the seat pack. I now think that I have the thing fairly securely mounted (w/rubberbands to prevent loss, should it try to go AWOL. My LBS replaced both as I had them for only a short time. Costs about $22... two settings, flash, and steady... switch is mounted on the bottom (so water drips away).

Last edited by K'Tesh; 10-25-2007 at 11:30 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:00 PM
Site Admin

Thanks mizake. That may be it. I remember it being real small and laying horizontally strapped to the underside of his saddle kit. $169 IS steep for a rear light.
Speaking of rear lights I went through 2 Blackburn rear lights. I really liked the brightness. Problem was the plastic hook that secured it to my saddle kit broke on two models. Regular city street riding. Maybe something about one curb bump I slowly go over (no jumping) to cut through Clackamas Town Center and a quick jar from that. But nothing radical that should have broken it. Boooooo on Bike & Hike. I took the first one back I bought from them and they said "tough" because I didn't have the receipt. Who keeps $19 receipts? Yea!! for Rivercity. I walked over there and bought the second light and it, too, broke after a week. Again, no receipt (you would think I would have learned, but I thought it was just a freak break). The nice sales manager gal fixed me up with a new, non-Blackburn light that is screwed onto my rack. Not the best light, but it along with the one on the back of my helmet make me feel seen at least.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:10 PM
Site Admin

I use Nightsun Team in front (dual halogens), some generic blinking tailight in back, also a blinking LED light (a $25 one that clamps to the handlebar) to be better noticed, and a Petzl mountaineering headlamp attached to my helmet (to shine into cars and waggle around, for more noticeability).

Its amazing how many bicyclists you see riding around at night in dark clothes with no lights.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:55 PM
Site Admin

Default Dinotte Lights

I may be the person with the Dinotte rear light if that was The Portland Velo Club Century. I love the rear light! Yes, it is expensive, but so is the deductible on my health insurance. I've had many rear lights and even multiple rearlights, but this is a whole different world. I commute from Beaverton to NE 33rd near Killingsworth. 16 to 17 mi each way. I go via Barbur and there are 2 areas where you ride on the road. With other lights the cars would zip right by me. With the Dinotte, they move into the next lane! It is very visable during the day and I use it on all of my bicycles. I will take the last position in a group on busy roads for saftey of all the riders.

In front I have 2 Dinotte 200 lumen lights. One flashing day time or dusk, one on and one flashing at night with city lighting, both on when in full darkness. They are very small, light nd with the "O" ring mounts they are off the bike in 5 seconds. Expensive yes, but dead or broken bones are much more expensive and painfull! Also great Co. replaced a light I pulledthe cord out of free and sent it before I sent the bad one back! They had an upgrade special to their more powerful light! No one else does that!
Old 11-13-2007, 11:00 AM
Site Admin

Default Cheap but effective - Blackburn Mars 3 / Quadrant combo

For under $40 at Bike Gallery the Blackburn Mars 3 / Quadrant Combo is cheap, waterproof, and has a good wide beam pattern for visibility. I've been running two of them for the last year with good results. Downsides: the brackets are a bit wimpy, and the convex lens gets light in your eyes. Picture of a decent fix for that is here:
http://www.vangelisti.com/prevention...ion.htm#lights
Old 02-27-2011, 09:51 AM
Site Admin

Front: (1) Light and Motion 1400R handlebar mount.

Rear: (2) Planet Bike blinkies
(1) Trek 6-LED flasher
(1) Bush-Mueller 4D Toplight

The combo has been effective so far (hide intact). However, after seeing sufficient numbers of drivers run traffic lights, stop signs, and make lots of "California style" stops at intersections, I always presume oncoming motorists don't see me, or I should assert they don't WANT to see me.

Two weeks ago we had an almost-crash near S.E. 7th and Hawthorne. Lunch hour -- traffic was backing up a bit next to us. Several of us were in our marked bike lane travelling southbound; motorist at intersection made FULL eye contact with us and then raced across our bike lane to secure her place in line. The cyclist in front of me had to skid onto his side. That motorist selfishly decided making her lunch appointment was worth perhaps killing someone on a bike. She raced on with blatant disregard.

There are times, too, such as Saturday nights near hot hipster bars and taverns I turn my radar up a notch. Drunks have been known to rear-end stopped cop cars with flashing lights, so they could likely hit a well-lit cyclist too. Drunks use their auto-pilot to navigate, and it may or may not include observing for cyclists. They've got a buzz going, got turned down at the bar, angry, and now weaving a path home.

Good old-fashioned reflector vests and reflective tape is superb for the peripheral views and not to be ignored. As a motorist, I really take notice at bikes with lots of side-mounted reflection.

I digressed to emphasize that nothing is a substitute for sharpened awareness. All my lights don't form an impermeable force field. When I think I'm in some protective bubble, that's when I get wake-up calls. There's a point of diminishing returns if you're dealing with selfish or drunk idiots. K'tesh makes a good point with the mega-watt lamp, that is, even that would not prevent some of the jerks out there from sacrificing someone to meet their precious schedule or make it home from the tavern with a head full of PBR.