Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2007, 05:30 PM
Site Admin

Default Elevation help?

OK, so I did a ride today that was, um, hilly. The problem is that I don't know exactly how hilly. Before I undertake a tedious redrawing of the 92 mile route on some web-based program, I am wondering whether anyone out there may already have the info I seek. it doesn't have to be exact (frankly, I couldn't tell you the exact route, anyway, since I was just following a friend). But let's assume a route that started in SE PDX, took the Hwy 26 path to Beaverton, then Wilshire to Marlowe to Park to Walker to Nike, through the Nike campus and various suburban streets to SW 209th to Clark Hill to Scholl's ferry to Seifert to Mtn. Home to Kruger to Chapman to Leander to Bell to North Valley to Bald Peak Rd., up and over Bald Peak to Laurelwood (DOWN Laurelwood, thank the spirits) to Spring Hill to Gaston to Old Hwy 47 to Spring Hill to Fern Hill to Geiger through flat Hillsboro regions to West Union/Thompson up and over Skyline and back to SE PDX via Thompson/Cornell, etc. Whew. I get tired just thinking about it. Anyway, any educated guesses would be welcome . . .
Old 08-13-2007, 06:07 PM
Site Admin

Ok, let's see if this helps a little...

SE PDX... depends on where you are. Clinton Park is 200ft, Ladd's Addition is 70ft.

Downtown - 40ft at waterfront, 220ft at Vista Tunnel

26 peaks around 780ft at Sylvan.

26 and Wilshire, around 450ft.

Wilshire and Marlow - 400ft

Park and Cedar Hills - 260ft

Park and Walker - 200ft

pretty much low 200's till Clark Hill, peaking around 320 or so, then down to 175 at Scholls Ferry, dipping to 150 then back up to 180 at Seiffert.

Seiffert & Mtn Home - 620ft

Mtn Home & Krueger - 826ft

Kreuger & Chapman 775ft

Chapman & Leander 925ft

Leander crests @ 1000, then down to 830 at Bell

Bell & North Valley 350ft

Then you lose me a little because Bell, North Valley, and Hillsboro Hwy (leading to Bald Peak) all intersect at the same time... but Bald Peak crests at 1600, then down to 1100 at Laurelwood.

Laurelwood & Spring Hill 200ft

Spring Hill & Gaston 260ft

floating around 150-250 all the way to West Union

Thompson & Saltzmann 350

Thompson crests around 1100, then 900 at Cornell.

Cornell & Lovejoy about 280ft

all via Google Earth.

Hope that helps!
Old 08-13-2007, 06:29 PM
Site Admin

Thanks - that does help -
Old 08-15-2007, 10:27 AM
Site Admin

Default Allsport

I have the same problem with hills. I don't do very well. I usually plot my course using http://www.allsportgps.com/Default.aspx and it graphs out the elevation so I know if the hills are "too" steep for me. It's easy to use. Good luck.

Ender
Old 08-15-2007, 12:59 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackazilly View Post
I have the same problem with hills. I don't do very well. I usually plot my course using http://www.allsportgps.com/Default.aspx and it graphs out the elevation so I know if the hills are "too" steep for me. It's easy to use. Good luck.

Ender
I don't have a problem with hills - the more the better - I just like to know how high they were once I've finished

I tried to graph the route on this site, but I seem to be unable to find where on this application the elevation graphs - could that be because I am runnng Safari and the site doesn't support it?
Old 08-16-2007, 05:55 AM
Site Admin

If you use bikely.com and map out your route there is an elevation button that will graph out the elevation for you. The cool thing about bikely is you can save the route, name it, put comments and let other people see the route so they can ride it if they want to. It's also a cool place to look up new routes as well. The more users the more routes.