Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Report your Close Calls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2007, 04:27 PM
Site Admin

Default Hit by MTB'er who then rode away

About 30 min. ago.. while stopped, as in feet on the ground, at the intersection of 12th and NE Lloyd Ave (just after crossing the bridge over 84), waiting for traffic so I could make a right turn onto Lloyd/16th where it passes under the 84 on/off ramps, a guy on a mountain bike with a plastic coke basket mounted on his rack coming across the crosswalk just ran into my rear wheel (he was looking elsewhere, I guess).

He stopped just long enough to extract his wheel from my fender then took off down Lloyd, looking back over his shoulder and calling out 'Sorry about that man'. Before I had the time to inspect my wheel, he was gone.

Fender stay is bent (I can fix that myself, mostly) and my rear wheel is out of true with a spoke flopping around in there.

Thanks, guy.

Anyone know a good wheel mech that could repair my wheel before bridge pedal?
Old 08-06-2007, 08:48 PM
Site Admin

Nice

Bike Gallery will replace a spoke and true the wheel, normally as a walk in, for about $26. I believe the Bicycle Repair Collective on 44th and Belmont charged me $16 or $18 about 18 months ago. I don't know what others charge.

http://www.bicyclerepaircol.net/
Old 08-06-2007, 09:32 PM
Site Admin

Default Hit by MTB'er who then rode away

Thanks joeb,

I'm planning on stopping by Veloce tomorrow to see if they can help out (found via thread on wheel builders over in General discussion), if I don't get any love there I'll try the places you mentioned next.

peace,

BeerdedOne
Old 08-09-2007, 04:57 PM
Site Admin

Default ah, my specialty

i suspect one of my housemates has been beating the shit of my bike, 'cause i've had to have a spoke fixed three times this year, and i'm no kind of curb hopper.

belmont repair collective is fast (overnight), but not as cheap as the recyclery, which charged me exactly $11.25 to get a spoke fixed this last time.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:58 PM
Site Admin

Default veloce

oops, didn't read your reply. i'd check veloce's hours before going over -- they've not once been open when i've stopped by.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:00 PM
Site Admin

Default Wheel fixed!

Got it taken care of by the builder at Veloce overnight. They do good work. Thanks for the input everyone, Cheers!