View Single Post
Old 08-22-2007, 06:29 AM
Site Admin

Default I'm tired of this crud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetishridr View Post
the city of beaverton is entirely designed around the automobile. i have ridden/commuted through it and yes its possible to ride a nice route free of traffic. The older parts of portland however, were designed at an earlier time w/out so many automobiles. The city is full of narrow streets and bike blvd's. so for commuting, i'd consider it ideal. you beavertonians do have us beat on the recreational cycling in washington county however. you are much closer to nicer riding than i am in SE. more people commute in portland than in beaverton. check out the numbers on the hawthorne bridge crossing.

so for the search for housing, st johns is cheap and a nice ride to town. there are some cool neighborhoods off of interstate (cesar chavez) as well as the alberta/mississippi corridors.
also check out areas south of 84 but north of burnside, theyre allright. 50th to 82nd. The area just east of mt tabor is cool too. cheap houses, probably cheap rent. foster/holgate to clinton is cheaper too. i'd start looking there. milwaukie is always an option, 1/2 hr to 45 minutes to PSU and really cheap rent. i think that milwaukie is going to start getting more expensive in the next few years.
there are also a lot of cheaper duplexes, apartments, and one bedrooms in the central eastside.( inside 28th)
First of all I commute from Beaverton EVERY DAY and never have a problem. I feel proud that I need to commute over the west hills on a daily basis. I feel proud that I can include myself in the Portland bike community (not east-side bike community).

Second Beaverton is listed as a Bronze level of Bicycle Friendly communities from the LAB (http://www.bicyclefriendlycommunity....ommunities.htm) It has some older roads that don't have bike paths, but any new road has included a bike lane. East side people know the streets to avoid. For examle, I rarely see a cyclist on MKL like I don't see any on Canyon. You know the bike friendly streets intuitively, so do Beaverton cyclists. So your "small streets and many bike lanes" in Portland is just a mater of perspective, I can say the same for Beaverton.

Third, I like Beaverton, it is close to down town, has many transportation options, and is a great place to raise my girls.

Fourth, SHUT UP ABOUT THE EAST SIDE OF TOWN. I'm sick of this crap. It is all about familiarity. If it wasn't for the west hills we would be Missisippi or Clinton, or Brooklin. So piss-off!

... I'm off to work...

~n <--- irritated