Thread: 217 Corridor
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013, 10:57 AM
Site Admin

Simple Nature, comment #15:

Here's the spec from Oregon statute 814.420 that provides for riding outside of the bike lane in preparation for making a left turn:

"...(3) (b) Preparing to execute a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway. ..." http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/814.420

When riding Hall, northbound...(which is an important, common route from homes to, for example, the main Beaverton Library, it's big adjoining park, and the Saturday Farmer's Market, two big Beaverton attractions increasing numbers of people are traveling to and from.)...changing lanes well in advance of and in preparation for intended left turns, from the bike lane across Hall's three main lanes of traffic, is what I consider to be a sensible thing to do, and that's a road use that seems to be compliant with 814.420.

Making the switch over between Farmington and Broadway, for a left on either Broadway, Canyon (aka TV Hwy west of town), seems right to me. It's what I do. Psyfalcon makes a good point in thinking to not hold up traffic, but let's face it, Hall, being one half of the Hall/Watson couplet, and one of Beaverton's more heavily used thoroughfares, controlled by numerous lights, frequently slows down, even to stop and go traffic, north of 5th. Unless a slow vehicle really is somehow just plodding along at 10 mph or less in the middle lane with no apparent intention to turn, while other traffic is whizzing past to the right and left, I believe it's probably legal for any type vehicle to be using any of the main lanes of that road.

A few more things: hope that you displayed clearly visible, sustained hand signals as you made the lane changes, and that you managed to keep your cool while you were listening and talking with the officer. It seems to me that it would be good to somehow find out just how well familiar all of Beaverton PD officers, especially the ones doing traffic patrol, are with applied use of Oregon law by people riding bikes on the city's streets.

Actually, your experience may be one that might pay to put before the Beaverton Bike Advisory Committee. Meets once a month, usually an officer is present at least for the beginning of the meeting to give a short update/presentation as part of the agenda. Been a long while since I've been to one of those meetings, but some of the people on the committee then, did have a first-hand understanding about use of bikes in traffic.

City officials...including Beaverton's mayor (I had a brief talk with him a few months ago in which he advised me that he himself commonly rides the city's sidewalks to avoid difficult traffic situations.)...may possibly not have the best understanding of road use needs on the part of people needing to use the city's thoroughfares for travel by bike. Partly I suspect, because not enough people that ride are communicating with the city about their needs.