View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013, 06:06 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Lightbulb update

It was late when I posted, and I should have added some additional info into the post that more closely showed the situation.

For those who don't know, 99W backs up with cars frequently in this stretch of road during the evening rush hour.

It's long, it's straight, and there's a bike lane. Like my situation the cyclist was in the bike lane and was doing the passing. The motorist (as in my situation) didn't expect that they'd be passed by a bicycle on the right, and made a turn without looking. I my situation, I was cut off and plowed into the fender in front of the front wheel. This guy nearly made it across the driveway when the motorist hit him. Both of us were riding slower than possible (or posted) when our collisions occurred. I was past the worst part of the road (Fred Meyer's) and was doing between 20 and 25 miles per hour. This guy said he was going slow, and I THINK I overheard him say he was doing 15 mph. The posted speed is 35, and one night, a very long time ago, when traffic was nearly non-existent I hit 40mph (in the traffic lane).

I'm sure that he's glad he was wearing his helmet when it happened. I know I was when I was hit.