Originally Posted by Alan
Keeping this list going after I hit max buffer size on that old post.
Hit maximum post size again
--10,000 characters I think it said. On I go!
23 January 2013
"A new report from the Tax Foundation shows 50.7 percent of America’s road spending comes from gas taxes, tolls, and other fees levied on drivers. The other 49.3 percent? Well, that comes from general tax dollars, just like education and health care."
"Nationwide in 2010, state and local governments raised $37 billion in motor fuel taxes and $12 billion in tolls and non-fuel taxes, but spent $155 billion on highways. In other words, highway user taxes and fees made up just 32 percent of state and local expenses on roads. The rest was financed out of general revenues, including federal aid."
" See U.S. Census Bureau, State and Local Government Finances by Level of Government and by State, 2009-10, http://www.census.gov/govs/estimate/
2 March 2013
About 38% of the $10 billion Washington State DOT budget comes from gas tax (25%), fees and registration (10%) and state ferry tolls (3%).
(13 May: WSDOT chart and URL have moved, the links were: URL="http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Finance/budget/BudgetPieCharts.htm", IMG "http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/NR/rdonlyres/9F0387AA-6990-4FC3-AD40-EB7ECB8E6337/0/TranspBudgetRevPiesJune2012Frcst.gif")
Besides supporting a $25 tax on new bike purchases
to fund highways, Washington Rep. Ed Orcutt (R, Kalama) also says, "bicyclists are actually polluting when they ride.
" It's true, we due emit CO2 but it's much less than traveling the same distance in a car
, about 21 g/Km biking, 271 g/Km by car.
3 March 2013
Vehicle Weight and Road Damage
by admin on December 2, 2009
Heavy trucks obviously cause more road damage than cars, but how much more? According to a GAO study, Excessive Truck Weight: An Expensive Burden We Can No Longer Afford, road damage from one 18-wheeler is equivalent to 9600 cars (p.23 of study, p.36 of PDF).
The study assumed a fully loaded tractor-trailer at 80,000 pounds, and a typical passenger car at 4,000 pounds. That’s 20 times difference in weight, but the wear and tear caused by the truck is exponentially greater.
Food for thought: a bicycle and rider at 200 pounds is the same 20 times less heavy than a 4000 pound passenger car. Similarly, the wear and tear caused by that bike and rider would be exponentially less than a passenger car’s.
"If it’s $1/year for a bike, it would be $9600/year for a car. The semi truck would pay $92,160,000. And that’s not even factoring in mileage
9 March 2013
- PBOT F.Y. 2012-13 Requested Budget. 216 page formal document (image, not text, format). Page 5 & 6 of the paper document, page 8 & 9 of the electronic (w/ pie chart) says: PBOT's FY 11-12 resources are summarized in Figure 1...Gas taxes and parking revenues provide the largest source, about 38% of the total...The remaining funding is provided by a variety of customers that purchase Bureau of Transportation services, such as other City bureaus, or is obtained by the Bureau of Transportation, often in the form of federal, state and local grants...
- PBOT Business Plan. Five slide presentation deck, notably with "Transportation resources and requirements" has graphs for those two "pies" breaking out revenue sources and commitments (35% of funding from gas taxes, fees and parking).
The Elephant in the Bedroom: Automobile Dependence & Denial : Impacts on the Economy and Environment
by Stanley I. Hart and Alvin L. Spivak - Recommended by 'ws' in a thread on bike evangelism
. I (Alan) have not read it, but it does remind me to throw in a quick reference to urbanist works by Simon Gideon, Frank Lloyd Wright, Le Corbusier (those for a historic 20thC note), Jane Jacobs, Kevin Lynch, Rob and Leon Krier, Colin Rowe, Robert Venturi, Andres Duany, Elizabeth Plater-Zyberk, Richard Sennett's The Fall of Public Man
, and those are just off the top of my head; I'll add more as I think of them.
18 March 2013
Evaluation and Improvement Strategies
25 February 2013
Victoria Transport Policy Institute
21 March 2013
What share of road spending in Oregon is covered by general taxes (as opposed to user fees)? (Answer: 64%)
13 May 2013
Who Should Pay for Transportation Infrastructure? What is Fair?
by Todd Litman
"For both fairness and economic efficiency sake, roadway user fees, including fuel taxes, road tolls and parking fees should be raised to pay a greater share of road and parking facility costs. In this context, proposals to tax bicyclists are unfair and a distraction from a serious discussion of transportation finance."
grep bait: road taxes, bike taxes