View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Lightbulb ODOT Worked On One Of My Pinch Points

Got ODOT to work on a Pinch point on 99W... About a block away from this is where the bike lane starts, and it's a standard width, that is until we get to the driveway for this strip mall. Then it gets really wide, and then suddenly narrows to only a few feet. The ADA ramp is offset, so if you don't see the curb, you could really easily plow right into it, or have a glancing blow that could knock you into 35-40mph traffic.

After looking at the images (in the emails quoted below), I still have fears (this is close to the area where I was right hooked last year). My latest proposal to them would be to have them paint the curb a different color (yellow's out, how about red?), or paint the bike lane with a skip stripe showing the narrowing of the lane... much like this one

Quote:
  • RE: Cit Rep inquiry by phone -- K'Tesh

Hello K'Tesh, I forgot to include the photos of the new markers. Please see the attached photos.

Thank you, Tori Hickerson with Ask ODOT

Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2012 3:04 PM
To: 'ktesh@hotmail.com'
Subject: RE: Cit Rep inquiry by phone -- K'Tesh

Hi K'Tesh,

I understand the curb should have never been painted yellow, since it is to the right of a traffic lane. I have great news for you! We have installed the test curb markers on the curb top edge. These are the opti-curb markers and are test products. They may be used in other areas; feedback will be so helpful.

The markers are highly reflective glass dome made specifically for curbing (US reflector opti-curb). This type of marker will require a light source form the approaching vehicle (car, truck or bike) to be highly visible. A nice feature is the ability to install these in wet weather. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Sincerely,
Tori Hickerson
Citizen Representative
355 Capitol St. NE, MS11
Salem, OR 97301-3871
[COLOR=#00AFFD !important]1-888-275-6368
Toll Free
AskODOT@odot.state.or.us
Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2012 8:12 AM
To: 'ktesh@hotmail.com'
Subject: FW: Cit Rep inquiry by phone -- K'Tesh

Hi K'Tesh,

Thank you for contacting AskODOT at the Oregon Department of Transportation's (ODOT) Citizen Representative Office. Lili is still looking into your inquiry regarding re-painting the curb at 99W, at the strip mall. I just wanted to let you know we have not forgotten. You should hear back from her by the end of the month.

Please don't hesitate to contact us for additional information,
Tori Hickerson
Citizen Representative
355 Capitol St. NE, MS11
Salem, OR 97301-3871
[COLOR=#00AFFD !important]1-888-275-6368[/COLOR] Toll Free
AskODOT@odot.state.or.us

Sent: Friday, November 09, 2012 11:40 AM
To: BOICOURT Lili D
Cc: EATON Dianne M; HUNAIDI Sam H; ROMERO Shelli
Subject: Cit Rep inquiry by phone -- K'Tesh

Hi Lili, If you'd like to call me about this I may be able to explain better with spoken than typed words….

K'Tesh called yesterday afternoon. He is asking we re-paint a curb that is no longer yellow. The issue is the bike lane is "extra wide" and after an entrance to a strip mall, it narrows. Where it narrows used to be painted yellow. If you zoom in, you can see the "entrance" to the sidewalk is to the far right. A bicyclist would really have to cut that hard, or know to jump the curb (hence yellow), if in danger of a car. Jim is asking the curb to be yellow so the bicyclists realize just how much their lane has narrowed (especially in dark and wet).

Please respond directly to the citizen's inquiry within 5 business days or forward to the appropriate person upon receipt. Also, provide a copy of the response by e-mail to AskODOT@odot.state.or.us or provide confirmation that the citizen has been contacted by phone, for our records. All referrals from ASK ODOT are monitored under agency performance measures with the standard response of 5 business days.

Thank you for your assistance.
Tori Hickerson
Citizen Representative
355 Capitol St. NE, MS11
Salem, OR 97301-3871
[COLOR=#00AFFD !important]1-888-275-6368[/COLOR] Toll Free
AskODOT@odot.state.or.us

Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2012 4:24 PM
To: Ask ODOT
Subject: ATTN: Tori

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=SW+70t...,,0,15.88&z=19

KTESH for Lili Boicourt