Thread: Caught on Video
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 12:00 AM
Site Admin

Default White Firebird Stops in Bike Lane, SW Beaverton-Hillsdale Highway

From the description on the video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt4cyH7eDWI&list=UL :

Quote:
11/30/2012, about 6:50PM, westbound bike lane on Beaverton-Hillsdale Highway, by the Courtside Apartments, 5817 SW Beaverton-Hillsdale Highway, Portland, Oregon, USA.

Fortunately I saw the white Firebird coming out of the driveway from the Courtside Apartments and I was able to slow down. I don't like to think what would have happened if it had been a darker colored Firebird, or if I had been there a few seconds sooner.

It was drizzling tonight so the camera lens was not able to focus on his license plate. I went over the video frame by frame, but the best I could make out was the Firebird logo on the rear spoiler.

You do hear me yell "Car on the right!" Why yell that? Because

(a) it's obvious. It's a car. It's on my right. It's also not insulting, so the driver and the people watching the video on youtube can't accuse me of trying to inflame an already tense situation

(b) it makes the driver think I'm warning the other people I'm riding with about this car ahead. Those other people are potential witnesses. No, in this case those other people don't exist, but it'll take the driver a second or two to figure that out.

You also hear me tell him to go ahead. He's already just demonstrated that he is not that good of a driver, or he would have stopped before the bike lane. I'm not about to trust his poor driving skills and try to pass in front of him. He further demonstrates his poor driving by peeling out.
Here is a still photo from the video: