View Single Post
Old 05-16-2012, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Unhappy May 16, 2012

Sent today:

Quote:
Hi Shelly,

I went out there last night after seeing you, and I noted that nothing has been done.

If you're getting guff from the people who should be acting on this, I'd suggest you ask them these questions

"Would you feel safe riding down this road at 20+mph after dark with this?"
"Do you think it wouldn't feel uncomfortable or frighting hitting one of these at speed with traffic beside you?"

Again this region is found across the entire repaving project area. The one just south of SW Lanewood (at the bottom of that slope) is particularly frighting, it's deep, it sticks out into the bike lane quite a bit, and its an area where a bike is likely to be going at a high rate of speed.

I have a GoPro camera, and I'm sorely tempted to ride that area again tonight hitting the bumps (I'm aware of them, so I'll be cautious), and uploading the video.

Of course I'd prefer that these grates be elevated to current road height, but I could live with "shy" lines as a interim treatment.
Quote:
Section 3B.10 Approach Markings for Obstructions
Standard:
Pavement markings shall be used to guide traffic away from fixed obstructions within a paved roadway. Approach markings for bridge supports, refuge islands, median islands, and raised channelization islands shall consist of a tapered line or lines extending from the centerline or the lane line to a point 0.3 to 0.6 m (1 to 2 ft) to the right side, or to both sides, of the approach end of the obstruction (see Figure 3B-13).

Figure 3B-13 Examples of Markings for Obstructions in the Roadway (2 Sheets)

Guidance:
For roadways having a posted or statutory speed limit of 70 km/h (45 mph) or greater, the taper length of the tapered line markings should be computed by the formula L = 0.62 WS for speeds in km/h (L = WS for speeds in mph). For roadways where the posted or statutory speed limit is less than 70 km/h (45 mph), the formula L = WS2/155 for speeds in km/h (L = WS2/60 for speeds in mph) should be used to compute taper length. Under both formulas, L equals the taper length in meters (feet), W equals the width of the offset distance in meters (feet), and S equals the 85th-percentile speed or the posted or statutory speed limit, whichever is higher.

I know that this doesn't say anything about recessed obstacles, but someone should be able to find something that addresses those..
I called Shelly after sending the email, and she was disappointed to hear that nothing has been done about the SW Cedar Hills issues. She now has my email, and is pursuing it again.