View Single Post
Old 05-16-2012, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Default Back on this issue again...

On Sep 9, 2011, at 12:16 PM, K' Tesh wrote:

Quote:
I'd like to call to your attention the hazard created when asphalt overlays are being done. I've found a couple of storm drain grates that are sunken, when these overlays don't include elevating the existing drains to the new surface level. For cyclists these hidden dangers are possibly dire as they are most often found in the bike lane, or close to the curb, where cyclists are supposed to ride when there is enough space for bikes and cars to travel side by side. A cyclist hitting the edges of these unawares could lose control and crash at speed, and putting them at risk of being run over by adjacent traffic. For pedestrians walking along in the areas where these are often found could twist an ankle or fall and suffer injuries.

Several of these catch basins are found in Washington county. I want to bring them to your attention. One is located on the southwest side of the SW Cedar Hills/Hwy 26 intersection at the corner of SW Butner and Cedar Hills Blvd (just north of the new repaving project completed by Washington County). I've contacted Washington County, and am told that this is ODOT's responsibility. Occasionally cars making a right hand turn will encroach on the bike lane, and a cyclist could be forced into this grate.

Several are located on SW Hall Blvd, between SW Statler/SW Ross and SW Durham Rd. Two of the worst of those are located in the NB lane in front of 15520 SW Hall Blvd. Here, dappled sunlight does a very effective job of camouflaging the grate until a cyclist falls in.

there are bad ones across the street in this area too.

The following was taken from the document

Quote:
OREGON BICYCLE AND PEDESTRIAN PLAN
AN ELEMENT OF THE OREGON TRANSPORTATION PLAN
ADOPTED BY THE OREGON TRANSPORTATION COMMISSION
JUNE 14, 1995

http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/HWY/BIKEP...e_ped_plan.pdf pg 174

B.6. DRAINAGE IMPROVEMENTS
New drainage facilities function well, but may sink and deteriorate over time. Catch basins
may need to be adjusted or replaced to improve drainage. A bike-safe drainage grate at the
proper height improves bicycle safety. Curbs used to divert storm water into catch basins
should be designed so they do not create hazard for cyclists. At intersections, there
should be no puddles in pedestrian crosswalks.

Recommendations
• Raise catch basin grates flush with pavement;
• Modify or replace deficient drainage grates with bicycle-safe grates;
• Repair or relocate faulty drains at intersections where water backs up onto the curb
cut or into the crosswalk; and
• Remove existing drainage curbs that encroach into shoulders or bike lanes.
Please take steps to fix these grates, or at least mark them like Tualatin and now Tigard are doing with 4" white thermoplastic stripes applied before them.

Thanks for your time and attention...
K'Tesh
NOTE: The grates on SW Hall in the photographs were addressed in January 2012.