View Single Post
Old 10-11-2011, 10:55 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmc View Post
She has a 2.5 mile commute to the earliest bus pickup and worst of all, she has a very nice hill (Mill Plain Hill just east of Grand BLVD. for you clark county cats).
Instead of Mill Plain, I use 13th from East Reserve up to McLaughlin/Brandt, then a block on Mill Plain, then onto McArthur. It has a bit more room, slower and less traffic and the grade isn't quite as steep as Mill Plain. (Vancouver bike map)

Quote:
My Portland and Vancouver friends, I need some advice. How can I make this as least painful for her as possible. Perhaps: wake up extra early and take a longer hot shower, absolute rain gear, some sort of good early morning relaxation breakfast, walking the bike up the hill the whole way, music, comfortable warm and dry gear. I dunno.
You do know how to treat her right! Also be sure she has whatever she needs at the work-end of the commute. Spare clothes "just in case," hangers to dry things, a covered box (Rubbermaid-type?), maybe a pair of those heated shoe dryers.

Quote:
She is tiny and her hands freeze, perhaps thick snow gloves?
Mitts keep my fingers warmer than gloves, but they are awkward for finger dexterity. "Lobster mitts" are a compromise, or there are half-fingered gloves which have a mitt hood that pulls over the fingertips. Hot-packs are nice and pretty cheap when you buy a bunch at once, like at Costco or online.

Also, biofeedback helps many people with cold fingers/toes. Ask a doc, and see Feedback thermometer in wikipedia.

Last edited by Alan; 10-11-2011 at 11:09 AM.