View Single Post
Old 07-03-2011, 11:46 PM
Site Admin

Was in the mood, so I thought I'd go ahead and get a view of the 185th/Baseline intersection, also, for the purpose of comparison, a view of another intersection, not so far away, making use of an uncommonly used directional traffic method that could work to transition bike and motor vehicle traffic in intersections like 185th and Baseline:

Shows the three main travel lanes and the bike lane on both sides of the intersection. Might need further explanation from Simple Nature regarding 'the right turn only' thing he's talking about.

About 3 miles away, this is Jenkins Rd on the south Nike's home campus...Nikeland of Beaverton...huge...planted berms the whole way around...it's own massive reflecting pool. It was kind of a big deal for Nike to get approved for this intersection. As I recall, they had to pay for the traffic light regulating traffic through this intersection.

The pic doesn't show any cars, but it's no secret Jenkins is a very busy road (tektronix, etc., plus Nike's own traffic). Still, even with the light, people riding bikes faced quite a regular right hook threat. So somebody came up with this bike traffic through travel pavement marking method. I've ridden it. Making the transition still requires lots of signaling and making sure that rear approaching road users understand what the funny pavement lines mean for people on bikes to do. Basically works, though Jenkins road traffic during rush hour can be fierce, though probably no less than on Baseline.

Road is different at 185th and Jenkins, but I thought about it a bit, and it seems like it would work there too.