View Single Post
Old 05-18-2011, 02:26 AM
Site Admin

Many thanks, Lynne!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnef View Post
Wow, that's a lot of questions.

The ride was 210km (132 miles), and the time limit was 14 hours. I finished in 11:20. This was a permanent - a route that can be ridden on the day of my choosing, rather than a brevet. (www.rusa.org has all the definitions)
I already had rusa.org bookmarked, and I'd looked at orrandonneurs.org but had not bookmarked it...fixed! Thanks for the tip on permanent routes.

Quote:
How much do I carry? Depends on the weather and what I might find along the route. Besides spare tubes, spare tire, multitool, tire levers, tire pump (Topeak Road Morph, best pump ever) first aid kit and various other things (ibuprofen, wipes, ...), I might be carrying almost a complete change of clothing. And food. My last 400km, I had 2.5 lbs of food along. I hate going into grocery stores - when I'm tired it is like walking into a pinball machine; I can't find what I want and it ends up being a time suck. I'd really rather not weigh and find out. Better that I don't know.
"Really rather not" sounds familiar from backpacking/mountaineering, only these days I'm not as young as I once was and I probably should know if I'm exceeding my load threshold. But anyway, that's exactly the sort of general info I wanted. I wondered about a first aid kit but figured that since I'd carry one anyway I wouldn't bother to ask. Backpacking, I try to keep food between 1.5 and 2 pounds/day, but that's using dried or freeze-dried for at least one meal and very little fresh/heavy stuff (maybe some cheese or sausage).

I was already strongly considering a Morph pump and you nudged me over the top...it's ordered now. I went for the Turbo G.

Quote:
I eat a lot of junk food too - the Payday bar (not as bad for you as it sounds), Snickers Dark chocolate, pretzels, Fritos (food of the GODS), ... Just not on this last ride. Grocery stores with hot soup and a deli counter can be lifesavers (assuming I don't have to spend a lot of time locating and purchasing the food!)
PayDays are a fav of mine; that was what was in my head when you mentioned "Sweet Salty Peanut Bar." Hot soup (chili! ), now there's another luxury of convenience stores I could only dream of in the back woods!

Quote:
Luggage - you'd know my bike was a rando bike! Acorn Boxy Rando front bag on a little front rack, and a Carradice Barley seat bag.
OK, so now a bar-bag is going on my wish list. I once had a tank-bag with a clear map pocket like the Boxy on a motorcycle and it was very handy. Those are beautiful, classic-looking bags. The other day I noticed that Wikipedia's article on randonneuring mentioned Carradice by name, something that's not quite Wiki's usual style and will probably get edited at some point.

Quote:
Permanents are, at least in Oregon, often just one or two riders. It was just me and my friend Susie. Sometimes we rode together, but I did a lot of riding by myself - she's faster, especially on climbs. On the 400k I did last month I rode with someone, but at one point we were in a group of 8. Nice while it lasted. Everyone is on their own ride, so you can't be guaranteed company.
*nod* Well, variety is spice. I've had occasion to appreciate a tow but generally I prefer not riding in packs. The group size range you mention sounds just nice. Having a buddy within a few miles seems like a comforting thought.

Quote:
Talking - depends on who you are riding with. And if you've reached the "not chatty" phase of the ride.
Understood completely, though digressing again to backpacking epics there are times when chatting--about anything--is helpful to stay awake, forget the aching limbs for a few minutes and pass the hours 'til the parking lot comes into view.

Quote:
I don't carry a bike lock. (to answer the other question )

Quote:
Check the OrRando calendar - there is a 100km populaire on May 28.
How tempting! If I really cranked some training I might be able to do the distance, and it sounds like a really pleasant ride. Alas, I don't think I can fit it in my plans...life is so full! One of my goals for this summer is an overnight, either with CycleWild or solo. That and some longer day rides, well, by my modest standards...maybe 100K if I'm really ambitious, will tell me which direction to go as far as The Bike itself: so many choices!

Thanks again, much appreciated info.