View Single Post
Old 04-10-2011, 05:36 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Yes, but that depends on how often is "frequently" as well as individual body needs and physical conditions. I think lack of hydration is more often a problem than over hydration, though, especially as exercise periods get over an hour. A few quick pee stops and back to work on a long ride beats bonking, cramping, reduced muscle strength and mental fatigue. There are lots of articles about hydrating for endurance exercise, for example this one.
I agree with you Alan. Certainly cyclists are more often dehydrated than hyper-hydrated, but if the poster has to stop frequently to pee they are probably not dehydrated. Bonking because of a lack of water is not fun.

As far as food is concerned, try some different things on ~50 ish mile rides. At that distance you probably don't NEED food to have enough energy, but you will certainly be able to feel how your body reacts to the calories. It's how I learned about fig bars which are great for me. If I'm in calorie debt bad enough I can feel them almost immediately. People react differently to different foods though so experiment around a bit. Organized rides are good for this because they will feed you at the stops. A word of warning... foods with a lot of fiber can turn out badly. Stay away from anything that takes your body effort to digest. Digestion takes blood and when your body is using the blood to power your muscles it doesn't need to fight with your stomach. A few years ago at the STP I saw some poor guy turning inside out because he ate a lot of pineapple and his body couldn't handle it. I'm sure it tasted great at the stops, but 200 mile days are not the place to introduce new foods.

Speaking of long rides, I missed a ride with friends out to Larch Mtn this weekend and I'm bummed about it. That's one of my favorite rides as well...