View Single Post
Old 02-16-2011, 12:16 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg/f View Post
I would not recommend crossing the Bridge of the Gods. It would be like riding on the Hawthorne steel deck, only much longer, with the addition of a 200' drop into the Columbia if you make a mistake. Other than that...
I see bikes on BotG fairly often; hikers, too, because it's where the Cascade Crest trail crosses. Speed limit is 15, passing prohibited. Not sure the metal grate part is much longer than Hawthorne, but yeah, you must ride right on the grate, it's quite higher and spectacular, and a bit freaky because it's so easy to see through to the river below. Not easy to fall off accidentally, though, it has a good guard rail.

Thumbprinterr, I have to ask about Hwy 14, though. I've not ridden it and although I occasionally see bikes on it, it's quite narrow in many spots, often minimal shoulders, fast and moderately high traffic volume, and short sight lines. I gather your experience on it was OK? Any suggestions or advice about that part of the ride? Only one comment mentions it in http://www.rubbertotheroad.com/?p=57 and I have to wonder about write-up since it places the Chevron station on the wrong side of Bonneville Dam and doesn't mention the Skamania General Store at all.