View Single Post
Old 08-06-2008, 01:37 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisons View Post
It's interesting that you say that and label it non-gender specific - consumer studies of how women shop versus how men shop show that successful retailers selling to women allow a certain interaction between shoppers and products. Touching, looking, browsing, etc. There's a relationship with how long a person (and especially a woman) spends in a store to how likely they are to spend money there and the longer a person spends there, the more money they spend there - a shop designed to get women to linger will sell more to women.
I have heard this too, and it might be right.
Personally, though, I do not "shop" at a bike store - I always have something specific I need when I go inside one.
Once inside, I might begin "shopping" (i.e., browsing, looking around, seeing if something is interesting) but usually I don't get that far because I've already been asked what I need; I have said "actually yes, where are you tire levers?", been shown the levers, and then at that point feel like shopping is done.

Somewhere deep inside, maybe I know that if I stay I might spend money unnecessarily, so I'm happy to hit the register?

End result - I don't shop at bike stores, and when I do I get such great service that it basically prevents my lingering.

make sense? anyone feel the same? I think studies also show typically consumers like being helped and quick service is a plus... but for me, it's not that way. I will ask if I need something and can't find it.

Last edited by tinaaj; 08-06-2008 at 01:40 AM.