Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) (http://bikeportland.org/forum/index.php)
-   Women for Bikes (http://bikeportland.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Welcome Ladies (http://bikeportland.org/forum/showthread.php?t=587)

bikewonder 11-01-2006 09:12 AM

Welcome Ladies

Welcome to BikePortland.org and our Women on Bikes forum! This forum was created for women to find riding partners, ask questions about cycling (gear, routes, riding skills, maintenance, mechanical issues and anything else), post upcoming rides and events, tell stories about their rides, and share photos and route maps. I have invited my bike industry friends to join in with their incredible knowledge. And you are welcome to share this site with your friends. The more people at the party the better.

Hold on…perhaps I should introduce myself. My name is Janis McDonald (aka bikewonder) and I work for Portland Office of Transportation – Transportation Options (www.GettingAroundPortland.org). I created the Women on Bikes program in order to get more women out on bicycles. I have been a long time commuter and have developed a love for road bike riding. This year I have pushed my comfort zone by trying Cyclocross – fun, but definitely a learning experience for me.

So now that you know a little bit about me, let me also say that as the moderator I reserve the right and have the responsibility to make this forum a fluid, helpful and positive experience for all. Imagine this as sitting around the coffee table and having a conversation with friends. And with that, I say welcome and cheers.

barbaroo 11-01-2006 10:44 AM

one small step for Portland a giant step for Women

This is great. I can't wait to see what develops on this forum. Cycling is such a great activity for personal growth and having forums like this to embellish the other WOB programs is a very positive step to encouraging and supporting our community. Thanks Janis!

liz 11-01-2006 05:47 PM

Thanks

Thanks Janis for setting up this forum. I'm looking forward to using it.
Liz

cranky_pedaller 11-07-2006 01:06 PM

:D! yay!!! a new net place to hang out :D

thanks!!

alint 12-26-2007 08:40 PM

HI there

I am new to this whole forum thing and to Portland and would love to find riding partners. I just bought a cyclocross bike with fenders so i can ride in the rain..
are there any organized rides you do this time of year? I saw there was a women's ride at Rivercity bikes on sat at 10 am so may check that out...

anne

bikewonder 12-27-2007 08:40 AM

organized rides

Welcome to Portland. You can also ride with a great group of women called Sorella Forte. Check out their website at: www.sorellaforte.com. You can also email them at info@sorellaforte.com. They ride every weekend. Let me know if you need more information and I will see what I can do.

Cheers, Janis

alint 12-27-2007 09:27 PM

thanks janis
looks like they do the Rivercity women's ride on Sat so will get out there this weekend.
anne

briandlacy 12-22-2008 04:30 AM

women only winter repair class

I’ve been teaching no-jargon, low-testosterone classes for 14 years (founded the Cycling Center, taught at Bike Gallery and City Bikes before that) to kids, women and guys. I like to coach people who consider themselves as un-mechanical.

If you and yours want to take my all women class - reach me for more details and let’s set a date.

The class steps are:

1 - I meet with each student briefly to talk about your bike’s condition, usefulness for your cycling goals and any special tools you’ll need for the class.

2 – A few days before the class, I email out a more detailed description of what we’ll be covering which are: SafetyCheck, adjusting bearings, brakes, gears, and wheel truing.

3 - Everyone arrives at BIKEmpowered’s mechanics school space at 8 a.m. (near 23rd and NE Alberta) , and move through each section until 4 p.m., taking a few short breaks as wanted and a 30 minute lunch break.

4 - If you have questions after the class, I’m available.
As we go through each step, I demonstrate how to do it, then give more tips for each student as they do it themselves.

Class max size: 6. Class cost: $60.

I’m best reached at brian@bikempowered.com
Thanks!
Brian

tugboat 08-21-2010 11:25 PM

Hello! I am a woman and I ride a bike. I couldn't happen but notice that this thread has not been updated in a long time. Are there no more women getting on bikes in town??