Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) (http://bikeportland.org/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://bikeportland.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Back Online! (?) (http://bikeportland.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4318)

Simple Nature 01-07-2013 04:06 PM

Back Online! (?)

I was getting the "maintenance" message until today. I wrote Jonathan a quick note trying to figure out what was going on. Now I see KTesh was able to post on Jan 1, 2013. What was going on?

Alan 01-07-2013 05:46 PM

yup, it's back online!

Jonathan turned them back on today. He said "I turned them off due to some server issues we were having." That's all I know.

Thanks for mentioning K'Tesh' posts of January 1. I had not seen those. For those interested, here are the links to them:

The 2013 Daily Commute Thread

The 2013 Mileage Challenge

K'Tesh 01-07-2013 08:33 PM

I think it was spam...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simple Nature (Post 29156)
I was getting the "maintenance" message until today. I wrote Jonathan a quick note trying to figure out what was going on. Now I see KTesh was able to post on Jan 1, 2013. What was going on?

I was getting forums were off messages too... That said, I have been given Super Moderator status (a very long time ago), and thus, I was permitted to post.

I tried to callJonathan on more than one occasion, but never got through to him to ask why the forums were down. Recently, I'd noticed an abundance of spambots trying to get access, and I suspect that they may have crashed the server while he was out of town.

Apennine 01-08-2013 08:37 PM

Happy New Year everyone! :D

Glad everything got fixed.

Spiffy 01-09-2013 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) January 7, 2013 at 12:19 pm
turned them back on this morning Alan. Thanks.

I turned them off due to some server issues we were having. sorry about that.

found here...

wsbob 01-09-2013 02:41 PM

Spambots seem to be a big problem here at the forums. Of the following, just now copied and pasted 'active users' from the forums home page, how many aren't spambots?:
45fx5p9h, Actittert, adurgkqae, aiytxnn, asdasdzvcl, AttaleCar, bnjdrwyk, cxqgoswatfpv, dKvEkDeBfV, edseiwdwmkv, fiyklqns, Gaiscums, gbsgyiru, gfpxbhwc, hdgypshpaj, hggahjdntjc, jfpgbkvqokw, kkwinlrl, ktdmxnhkr, kukisis, lakupdasplept, lgjgwhng, nidocati, Nokimick, nYyKyBlZfO, pguszYvgT, qmbsdxxm, qvhidrte, rdrdkct, TakspaskRuila, Trerrenna, xdvwonrduv, xinwugu, ycxletrdo, Zegonregled
Not a one of those user names appear to be one that a real person would pick.

Spiffy 01-09-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wsbob (Post 29166)
Spambots seem to be a big problem here at the forums.

Quote:

Currently Active Users: 69 (47 members and 22 guests)
View Who's Online
Most users ever online was 520, 06-20-2009 at 09:48 AM.
Spiffy, aapixoe, aiytxnn, allocaDoobia, amzrrqzx, apyxuijew, bihybcvw, bnjdrwyk, bugsCops, bytsu13117, cmkgikckicyp, cpfevaespfq, cvwmjkzku, dunksseass, dXjLmSlJaM, dzhjetykdfv, eapajbwl, eqtmialbyvd, ezwxgzhpeoqf, hcrfoeuli, hggahjdntjc, Huglkt, hwmlchmawebi, ilikefajui, inductioncooktop, JaxTerry, jdreyylt, khuurvfx, kukisis, lakupdasplept, lyhhfazeew, Mavacuby, NagThota, nixDiugH, nmrexhxlif, nmyioqfobb, nsdwjryjoxug, pwygvfihn, ragextljqxrh, sgwdspxcfr, swwwduwela, tokrydjd, ughostayb, vosnsmpelp, xinwugu, yzccvutfj, zjlyveqd
when I clicked on them most gave me a page saying I didn't have permission, so I'm guessing that they're new users who haven't confirmed their account... and the one that did work had 0 posts...

and then there's the 22 guests...

so yeah, I think you're right about the spam...