Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) (http://bikeportland.org/forum/index.php)
-   Newbie Forum (http://bikeportland.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Early Morning Commute to Bus Route (http://bikeportland.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4067)

dmc 10-11-2011 09:13 AM

Early Morning Commute to Bus Route
 
We (gf and I) are up in Clark County where gasoline is king and it's unfashionable to take public transit.

To arrive at the earliest bus to get her on the eastside, so she can get to Parkrose Transit Center we are looking at a nasty early morning commute. I say "nasty" because we will be heading out at about 5am with a very good hill to climb to get to the bus route.

She is gaining personal strength internally from bike riding. I love seeing how much confidence she is gaining and the hills she used to walk up, she really tries to crank on that crank! I don't want this to put a bad taste in her mouth and ruin it.

She has a 2.5 mile commute to the earliest bus pickup and worst of all, she has a very nice hill (Mill Plain Hill just east of Grand BLVD. for you clark county cats). It is cold and wet at 5am.

She believes in the bicycle for recreational use but not for commuting, yet.

My Portland and Vancouver friends, I need some advice. How can I make this as least painful for her as possible. Perhaps: wake up extra early and take a longer hot shower, absolute rain gear, some sort of good early morning relaxation breakfast, walking the bike up the hill the whole way, music, comfortable warm and dry gear. I dunno.

She doesn't like to bike in the rain generally but recognizes it as a possible transportation tool. Then again, we have never covered her in true rain gear. She is tiny and her hands freeze, perhaps thick snow gloves?

I am sure some of you know a person like her. We are on a low budget and need to tackle this simple problem. She doesn't know I am seeking advice yet.

I guess what I am trying to say is: I need to get her from point A to point B, dry, without exhaustion, without sweat, without misery and with some slice of accomplishment. Help me, please.

Alan 10-11-2011 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmc (Post 27600)
She has a 2.5 mile commute to the earliest bus pickup and worst of all, she has a very nice hill (Mill Plain Hill just east of Grand BLVD. for you clark county cats).

Instead of Mill Plain, I use 13th from East Reserve up to McLaughlin/Brandt, then a block on Mill Plain, then onto McArthur. It has a bit more room, slower and less traffic and the grade isn't quite as steep as Mill Plain. (Vancouver bike map)

Quote:

My Portland and Vancouver friends, I need some advice. How can I make this as least painful for her as possible. Perhaps: wake up extra early and take a longer hot shower, absolute rain gear, some sort of good early morning relaxation breakfast, walking the bike up the hill the whole way, music, comfortable warm and dry gear. I dunno.
You do know how to treat her right! :) Also be sure she has whatever she needs at the work-end of the commute. Spare clothes "just in case," hangers to dry things, a covered box (Rubbermaid-type?), maybe a pair of those heated shoe dryers.

Quote:

She is tiny and her hands freeze, perhaps thick snow gloves?
Mitts keep my fingers warmer than gloves, but they are awkward for finger dexterity. "Lobster mitts" are a compromise, or there are half-fingered gloves which have a mitt hood that pulls over the fingertips. Hot-packs are nice and pretty cheap when you buy a bunch at once, like at Costco or online.

Also, biofeedback helps many people with cold fingers/toes. Ask a doc, and see Feedback thermometer in wikipedia.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.