Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) (http://bikeportland.org/forum/index.php)
-   Route Info (http://bikeportland.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Carlton to Beaver (http://bikeportland.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4020)

RonC 08-31-2011 02:26 PM

Carlton to Beaver
 
Rode the Nestucca River Rd. last weekend between Carlton and Beaver, on the way to Pacific City. Still a beautiful route, but not quite as nice as when the road was closed off in the middle to motor vehicles.

Thought I would warn those using Google maps that while NW Panther Creek Rd. is shown as the main road on Google maps (cutting left off of NW Meadow Lake Road), that you should just stay on Meadow Lake Road until it turns into Nestucca River Rd. Taking the Panther Creek Rd. "shortcut" results in an extra 1.5 miles of gravel, some steep enough (and deep enough gravel) that it required walking so as not to lose traction with 23c road tires. I had no problem maneuvering the expected (and previously ridden) gravel section of Nestucca River road.

Oh yeah, one other thing. The hills are steeper than they used to be.

Alan 08-31-2011 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonC (Post 27254)
Oh yeah, one other thing. The hills are steeper than they used to be.

Upthrust from the coastal subduction zone, no doubt about it.

DaveT 08-31-2011 04:09 PM

Contrary to what they taught me in high school geology class about erosion, personal experience on the bike shows that mountains get higher every year.

drosen 09-01-2011 04:22 PM

Question
 
Ron, when you went over Nestucca Pass, did you encounter the mile or so of gravel that is after that park on the westside of the mountain? I've gone over Meadow Lake to Beaver, but won't go any more because of that gravel, or do you know of a non-gravel route?

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonC (Post 27254)
Rode the Nestucca River Rd. last weekend between Carlton and Beaver, on the way to Pacific City. Still a beautiful route, but not quite as nice as when the road was closed off in the middle to motor vehicles.

Thought I would warn those using Google maps that while NW Panther Creek Rd. is shown as the main road on Google maps (cutting left off of NW Meadow Lake Road), that you should just stay on Meadow Lake Road until it turns into Nestucca River Rd. Taking the Panther Creek Rd. "shortcut" results in an extra 1.5 miles of gravel, some steep enough (and deep enough gravel) that it required walking so as not to lose traction with 23c road tires. I had no problem maneuvering the expected (and previously ridden) gravel section of Nestucca River road.

Oh yeah, one other thing. The hills are steeper than they used to be.


lynnef 09-01-2011 09:32 PM

Gravel is still there. Very hard packed, though.

drosen 09-02-2011 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnef (Post 27282)
Gravel is still there. Very hard packed, though.

Thanks. I wonder why the county or state doesn't pave that small part. It's a tough ride from Carlton to Beaver, but the challenge is the fun part.

RonC 09-02-2011 07:50 AM

There is a paved route that you can take to avoid the gravel, but it is not well marked. At just over 15 miles out from the center of Carlton there is a road that cuts sharply back and up to the left, called Bald Mountain Road. There used to be signage, but is is no longer marked. There is another road that cuts off to the left about a mile before it that you can use as a heads-up reminder. You take Bald Mountain about 7-8 miles to Bible Creek Rd. (I believe it's called Testament Creek on Google Maps, maybe the name has changed?). Veer to the right on Bible Creek/Testament Creek and go another 7-8 miles until you re-join Nestucca River Rd.

I was planning on taking this route, but one of my riding friends was gassed, and there is a significant amount of climbing on this paved route. It's been years since I rode this, so no guarantees on the condition of the road. But it used to be pretty good.

Regarding the gravel section on Nestucca River Rd., I think its more like 2-miles long, but it is mostly very hard packed as Lynne indicated. Part of it I was able to maneuver at up to 20 mph on 23c tires, but it was mostly a 10-15 MPH bone rattler.

drosen 09-02-2011 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonC (Post 27287)
There is a paved route that you can take to avoid the gravel, but it is not well marked. At just over 15 miles out from the center of Carlton there is a road that cuts sharply back and up to the left, called Bald Mountain Road. There used to be signage, but is is no longer marked. There is another road that cuts off to the left about a mile before it that you can use as a heads-up reminder. You take Bald Mountain about 7-8 miles to Bible Creek Rd. (I believe it's called Testament Creek on Google Maps, maybe the name has changed?). Veer to the right on Bible Creek/Testament Creek and go another 7-8 miles until you re-join Nestucca River Rd.

I was planning on taking this route, but one of my riding friends was gassed, and there is a significant amount of climbing on this paved route. It's been years since I rode this, so no guarantees on the condition of the road. But it used to be pretty good.

Regarding the gravel section on Nestucca River Rd., I think its more like 2-miles long, but it is mostly very hard packed as Lynne indicated. Part of it I was able to maneuver at up to 20 mph on 23c tires, but it was mostly a 10-15 MPH bone rattler.

Fantastic. I think I'll drive it one of these days. I don't mind the climbing, but that gravel really bugs me for some reason.

lynnef 09-02-2011 03:50 PM

I rode it from Beaver to Carlton on a 210km permanent in pouring rain. Epic day. The climb was not particularly difficult, but it was an epic day.

drosen 09-03-2011 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnef (Post 27293)
I rode it from Beaver to Carlton on a 210km permanent in pouring rain. Epic day. The climb was not particularly difficult, but it was an epic day.

So if I'm looking at Google Maps correctly, after leaving Carlton I'll go up the mountain like I normally do and then turn left at that reservoir that is after the summit, correct? I'll miss the camping area and the gravel area because I'll be on the other side of the river. After rejoining Nestucca River Road I'll just proceed to Beaver like I normally would? This is great, another route to the beach.

DR


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.