Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) (http://bikeportland.org/forum/index.php)
-   Route Info (http://bikeportland.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Gresham-Fairview trail... (http://bikeportland.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3795)

jeff 01-17-2011 04:46 PM

Gresham-Fairview trail...

Seems to be open, from the Springwater (near Linneman station/Paisano's) north to the MAX line & older portion of the trail. The Springwater connexion is not well marked. Rode it on Sunday, and no one on it, so it could use some patronage.

Bent Bloke 01-18-2011 11:53 AM

Yeah, it's nice!

You get a great view of the wetland just north of Powell. I rode it a week ago and didn't see many others using it, mostly pedestrians.

And you're right about it being poorly marked at the junction with Springwater. No sign at all. The crossing of Burnside is also confusing, and could be better marked.

It makes for an easy route to Edgefield from Springwater ... ;)

Spiffy 01-19-2011 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bent Bloke (Post 25423)
It makes for an easy route to Edgefield from Springwater ... ;)

*perks up*

ok, now I'm interested...

where's a map showing the intersection with the Springwater?

Bent Bloke 01-20-2011 07:00 AM

Map of Gresham-Fairview Trail connection with Springwater

This map shows where the two trails meet, sorta. It's not marked as a bike path in this Google map view, but you take SW 10th Street, then turn right on West Powell Loop. You'll see the bike path then. On 10th it's a bike lane.

jeff 01-20-2011 09:46 AM

Gresham/Fairview trail gap

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bent Bloke (Post 25423)
The crossing of Burnside is also confusing, and could be better marked.

indeed! and by this spring there'll be a lot of people on bikes wandering about on that narrow sidewalk wondering where to go next. I'm assuming that Gresham is planning something to improve that pretty awful connexion... but you know what the word "assume" does... I'll see if i can get some info on it.

jeff 01-23-2011 07:25 AM

The gap

Here's the response from Gresham on the trail gap at Burnside:

" This gap will be filled by the Max Path trail which will extend from Ruby station east to down town Gresham. This project is funded and currently in design. Construction is expected in about two years.
For more information you may go to our website at Gresham Fairview Trail.

Thank you for using askGresham.
Linda Kidby"

bobcycle 01-31-2011 11:47 AM

Have recently ridden Fairview-Gresham trail and find it makes a nice 25 mile loop when connected with I-205/Springwater/Marine Drive. or closer to 37 miles if you take Willamette river bikeway to Springwater to Fairview-Gresham to Marine Drive to 33rd to Going to Williams. I studied Google map beforehand and had no problem at Burnside. The trail ends at Halsey so at Halsey I went east to Fairview ave/223rd then left on to Fairview Lake Way to Marine drive. Halsey has either a bike lane or a nice shoulder and the same goes for Fairview/223rd ave except were you go under the railway. I notice many of the busy street crossings have activation "loops" in the pavement that automatically trip the crossing flashing yellow signal. Autos seemed to be very courteous at the crossings. Rode it on a Monday and saw a few peds but no other cyclists on the whole route. Nice thing was that strong east wind that gave a push along Marine Drive. Good reason to do it in the counterclockwise direction. :)

bobcycle 02-20-2011 06:19 PM

I road the Gresham/fairview trail today and seems they have found a bit of a design flaw. As you leave the Powell over pass (heading North) there is a downhill section followed by a steep short uphill climb. My tendency is to build up speed on the downhill to make the climb easier. At the bottom of the downhill and covering part of the uphill they used some cement pavers with what looks like gravel filled gaps that are almost a narrow tire width wide. So the fear is that as the gap filler gets worn the possibility of catching your tire in the gap increases. So today I noticed a new warning sign (yellow diamond type) with a picture of a bicyclist, tire caught in gap, flying over the handle bars. My thought is why design a trail with this flaw then think putting up the sign will solve the problem? Signed or not this could be an accident waiting to happen. So far no problem for me but next time out I will stop to check gap width closer and perhaps take a picture of the warning sign.

Simple Nature 02-20-2011 06:27 PM

I wonder if it is some sort of drain for runoff. Seems kinda odd though.

Bent Bloke 02-22-2011 12:22 PM

The path there goes through a wetland. I thought the pavement treatment was odd there at first, too, but then I realized they used permeable pavers to facilitate water run off. I think they are just trying to make the path as much like the ground as they can.