Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) (http://bikeportland.org/forum/index.php)
-   Route Info (http://bikeportland.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Riding to Portland to Astoria (http://bikeportland.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3793)

lacorota 01-15-2011 05:35 PM

Riding to Portland to Astoria
 
I'm planning a day ride --perhaps -- to Astoria next month. I haven't ridden much beyond St. Helens along hwy. 30; I've never driven that stretch either. It has a generous shoulder to St. Helens, and appearing beyond. I've "heard" the shoulder is good excepting a 4 or 5 mile stretch, and it has a serious climb along the way. So--

Questions:

Is the shoulder adequate the entire distance?
What's the elevation gain for the distance?


I'm hoping it's not intentionally seeded with nails or tacks, such as I frequently find on Larch Mtn. road.

Any info. or suggestions are much appreciated!

drosen 01-15-2011 07:44 PM

I guess it's OK, but it's not a lot of fun. Full of noise, cars, and noise. Did I mention the noise?

I take a different route to Astoria from Portland. I get to Scapoose and take the "Scaponia" Highway to Highway 47 and then go north through Mist (where I started my teaching career), Birkenfeld, Olney, and then to Astoria. Quieter and I must say the logging trucks have been very generous with their courtesy to me while biking. Pretty scenery along the way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lacorota (Post 25388)
I'm planning a day ride --perhaps -- to Astoria next month. I haven't ridden much beyond St. Helens along hwy. 30; I've never driven that stretch either. It has a generous shoulder to St. Helens, and appearing beyond. I've "heard" the shoulder is good excepting a 4 or 5 mile stretch, and it has a serious climb along the way. So--

Questions:

Is the shoulder adequate the entire distance?
What's the elevation gain for the distance?


I'm hoping it's not intentionally seeded with nails or tacks, such as I frequently find on Larch Mtn. road.

Any info. or suggestions are much appreciated!


rainperimeter 01-15-2011 10:56 PM

i've taken 30 on the way back to portland and it mostly sucks. go the way drosen says. i've gone that way, uh, not sure how many times. a bunch. way nicer.

zpl 01-16-2011 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drosen (Post 25389)
I guess it's OK, but it's not a lot of fun. Full of noise, cars, and noise. Did I mention the noise?

I take a different route to Astoria from Portland. I get to Scapoose and take the "Scaponia" Highway to Highway 47 and then go north through Mist (where I started my teaching career), Birkenfeld, Olney, and then to Astoria. Quieter and I must say the logging trucks have been very generous with their courtesy to me while biking. Pretty scenery along the way.

How do you get from Portland up to Scapoose? How are the shoulders along 202?

Thanks,

Scott

rainperimeter 01-16-2011 11:29 PM

i lied. i usually head up over the west hills, through hillsboro, north plains, etc., out to banks. then the banks-vernonia trail. hwy 202 is fine. the traffic is very, very light. i don't think there is much in the way of shoulder but all the times i've gone it hasn't been an issue.

jeff 01-17-2011 04:36 PM

Another thumbs up for the Mist-birkenfeld-Jewell route. Too much traffic on highway 30, albeit with shoulders. 202 doesn't have any shoulders but the traffic is so light you don't really need 'em. Like RP , I too prefer going banks-vernonia trail to Vernonia - but this is doubtless considerably longer. You can hop the MAX to Hillsboro to cut out some distance...

Simple Nature 01-17-2011 06:33 PM

Only thing I would add about getting to the Banks-Vernonia trail through Hillsboro is to be aware that the country side belongs to commerce on weekdays. On weekends, people are quite forgiving about bicycles on the roadways. Several very nice routes between Hillsboro and Banks.

jeff 01-18-2011 06:55 AM

to the Coast
 
this shows a pretty quiet route between Hillsboro and Banks -- as well as other north coast routes:

http://www.portlandonline.com/transp...36638&a=301633

drosen 01-18-2011 03:28 PM

I do take Highway 30 up to Scapoose, I must confess. Now that the Bank-Vernonia Trail is pretty much clear to Vernonia, I'll try that. But, everyone who's written about 202 is correct. The road is practically barren on the weekend, very quiet. I've never taken it during the week, so I can't speak to that. The "Scaponia" way has a nice climb to it and a great downhill stretch after reaching the summit. Also, if you want, you can turn at Olney and go to Seaside instead of going straight to Astoria. The Seaside route is nice, but there's a good climb before you get to Seaside. I've done that ride as well. Puts you just a smidge north of Seaside.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zpl (Post 25397)
How do you get from Portland up to Scapoose? How are the shoulders along 202?

Thanks,

Scott


Simple Nature 01-18-2011 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff (Post 25420)
this shows a pretty quiet route between Hillsboro and Banks -- as well as other north coast routes:

http://www.portlandonline.com/transp...36638&a=301633

Nice find, Jeff. Forgot all about that link.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.