Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) (http://bikeportland.org/forum/index.php)
-   Route Info (http://bikeportland.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Portland to Hillsboro airport (Intel)? (http://bikeportland.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3458)

zpl 02-17-2010 09:14 PM

Portland to Hillsboro airport (Intel)?

I'm curious if anyone on here commutes by bike from Portland to the Hillsboro airport area. What route do you take and how long does it usually take you? Even more importantly, what are the sketchiest parts of your route when dealing with traffic?

Scott

hemp22 02-18-2010 12:10 PM

lots of people do, actually. the route & timing will depend on where you're starting from in portland
I don't really know, but I'd guess the most frequently used route is to head up through the Rose Garden & Zoo, and then follow SW Canyon Ct, and the Hwy 26 MUP until you get to Hwy 217. From there, follow SW Park Way down to Walker Rd, and follow Walker until it ends at AmberGlen - then take Cornell Rd the rest of the way into Hillsboro, getting off at either Butler or NE 25th, depending on which campus you're going to.'
- This route is pretty bike friendly except for a ~1 mile stretch on Walker Rd between ~173rd and Amberglen, where there's no bike lane, some spots of narrow pavement, and a 45mph speed limit. It's quite roads & paths until you get to Walker, and then it's major thoroughfares the rest of the way. (there are ways to avoid the bad section of Walker by cutting over to Cornell earlier). Depending on how much you enjoy riding up & over the hill, you're probably looking at 1-1.5 hrs from downtown.

Alternatively, from NW PDX / pearl dist. you can go up over the hill on Cornell/Thompson, and stay on the north side of Hwy 26 until you get out to Hillsboro. This generally adds some distance, and a lot of riding on narrow 2-lane roads w/ fast traffic.

Simple Nature 02-18-2010 06:57 PM

Yep, what Hemp said... I prefer the ride up to the rose gardens by taking the trail up at Burnside and 25th. It's a gated switchback that drops you at the bottom of the rose gardens.

If you are on the southside of PDX... Terwilliger; up the hill and onto 10... great downhill almost all the way to 217. Some really nice routes from there. Beaverton throughfare is on 5th then you hit Farmington again around 150th. Probably want to work your way to the nature park and onto Jenkins/Baseline to 231, or 53rd.

Or do like most... Maxx it to the Westside and trek in the last few miles.

zpl 02-18-2010 08:09 PM

Thanks for the replies!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simple Nature (Post 23160)
Or do like most... Maxx it to the Westside and trek in the last few miles.

Actually, what I was thinking was riding from Hollywood to Goose Hollow or Washington Park and then taking the Max to Hillsboro would be most efficient. The idea being that Max is slowest and most crowded when getting to downtown Portland.

Of course, that would also require there being some safe place to stow my bike all day long...hmmm.

Anyway, it's an academic inquiry at the moment.

Scott

lynnef 02-19-2010 09:23 PM

My preferred route (I ride from my home to the Portland Velo rides on Saturdays, which start near the Hillsboro airport...)

Start at west end of Sunset HWY MUP

cross Hwy 217, right at T, left on Park Way.
Park Way to Huntington, turn R
L on Butner, follow across Murray (will become Downing), all the way to SW Meadow.
R on Meadow
L on Pioneer
enter the Tualatin Hills complex at end of Pioneer. Go past the soccer field, turn right, go up hill, hop onto the road, NW Schlottman (all paved, not to worry)
R onto Blueridge,
then L on Greenbrier,
R on Waterhouse,
R on 158th,
L on Cornell (whew! not as complicated as it seems, truly)
R on Evergreen (stay alert until you cross 185th, the shopping center traffic can be... interesting).

Follow Evergreen to the Hillsboro Airport

Simple Nature 02-20-2010 09:04 AM

Jenkins-Baseline is a very benign route. Real easy to get to from the 26 MUP at 217; mostly residential coming down the hill. Get on at Goose Hollow and off at Sunset if you want an enjoyable ride with some milage. There is a little niche of an opening in the wall right in front of the East entrance to Nike. You'll be in residential until there.

zpl 03-31-2010 08:57 PM

Well, it turns out this is no longer an academic question; I start a new job at Intel next month. :)

Looking at the satellite view and what byCycle suggests, it does look like Jenkins-Baseline is a fairly bike-friendly and reasonably direct route to where I need to go; at least I can see bike lanes along the entire route.

Lynne, what's your take on Jenkins-Baseline vs. what you suggested?

Edit: OMG, I just realized that route takes me past a Krispy Kreme. I'm afraid I have a bit of a willpower problem when it comes to that.

I'm not sure which route I'll try, but I think I'm going to head out there tomorrow late afternoon and give it a shot.

Scott

zpl 04-01-2010 09:07 PM

So K'Tesh and I rode both routes this evening; we went out to Intel via Jenkins-Baseline, and then back via Evergreen-Cornell.

I definitely wouldn't describe it as pleasant, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. We were riding during the evening rush hour so I got to see how traffic was.

We made the mistake of taking Jenkins-Baseline to NE 28th and then heading North. I will *never* do that again - the road was extremely narrow and kept alternating between a bike lane and no shoulder whatsoever. Immediately a line of cars piled up behind us, and I did the polite thing and took a side street at the first opportunity.

Now that I have access to Google Satellite view, I see it would be much, much better to head up NE 37th, cross the tracks, and head up to Cornell instead to reach NE 25th.

I think the commute is do-able (24 miles), and will probably get in the habit of biking one-way, then Max'ing it in the other direction.

I do have to admit that Jenkins-Baseline has nice long stretches without traffic lights, which makes it feel "fast" compared to urban Portland. The bike lanes were reasonably clean, too.

Scott

PS - And yes, we stopped at Krispy Kreme.... ;)

hemp22 04-02-2010 07:26 AM

Good deal. glad to hear that a little longer commute doesn't have you worried, and congrats on the job.
you get used to the high-speed traffic whizzing by - and really just have to stay alert in the sections where there's no bike lane, or near the big intersections when people will tend to drift across the bike lane or try to right hook you.

So, you're looking at those two routes as possibilities from the Sunset MUP?

there are a couple other options as well, if you like variety (or, if you need to force yourself away from the temptation of krispy kreme).
I manage to pass by the krispy kreme twice every day without stopping, but that may just be because I have a couple other preferred donut shops.

Also, if you go the baseline route, I'm not familiar with 37th, but there are nice bike lanes on Brookwood Parkway, to get you from Baseline to Cornell.

zpl 04-02-2010 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemp22 (Post 23500)
So, you're looking at those two routes as possibilities from the Sunset MUP?

Also, if you go the baseline route, I'm not familiar with 37th, but there are nice bike lanes on Brookwood Parkway, to get you from Baseline to Cornell.

Yep, it's pretty straightforward for me to get out of Portland via Washington Park, and that dumps me out on Canyon and the Sunset MUP. It's the remainder that I've been totally unfamiliar with until recently.

Thanks for the Brookwood Parkway suggestion - that seems perfect.

Back in New Hampshire I had a 22 mile commute each way to work, and I loved it. It was along some beautiful, low-traffic roads. I'd ride it both directions routinely and found it a perfect way to get focused on the way in or relax on the way home. Oh, and there was only one traffic light along the route. :)

Scott