Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) (http://bikeportland.org/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://bikeportland.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Hawthorne Bridge Guy (http://bikeportland.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1957)

brock 05-30-2008 11:22 AM

Hawthorne Bridge Guy

What's up with the guy who sits on the west end of the Hawthorne bridge every afternoon? The one with the toys and horns and bells and silly suits and what not. The one who sits exactly in the line of sight of vehicles merging onto the bridge, forcing them to inch forward into the path of all of the cyclists trying to get on the path? Pretty dangerous if you ask me.

brewcaster 05-30-2008 11:39 AM

I can't remember his first and last name, but I believe Danger is his middle name. ;)

Attornatus_Oregonensis 05-30-2008 11:57 AM

I think that is an extremely poor location for a street performer for exactly the reason you cite. I'm sure if someone explained to him that he was creating a hazard by obscuring visibility, he would move. I nominate you, Brock.

brock 05-30-2008 12:05 PM

Alas, yes. I hate that "rant on the internet" but "don't say sh*t in real life" kind of post, and I'm guilty of that here. The Hawthorne is a relatively new addition to my commute route, but I've seen that guy there for a couple of years. Just thought I'd see if any regular Hawthorne user had already approached him before I did myself.

Attornatus_Oregonensis 05-30-2008 12:39 PM

I will say something to him if you will. Deal? It might not be today, because I might be going home late, but I will do it soon. Again, I think just telling him that he forces people into the bike lane to see what's coming and that we'd appreciate it if he'd move a few feet might be enough to do the trick.

brock 05-30-2008 12:51 PM

Oh, I certainly will (Monday, headed a different direction tonight). He seems pretty consistent about being there, so I figure I wasn't the first person to deem his position dangerous, nor did I figure I'd be the first to approach him given the high traffic. For all I know, dude could be insane in the membrane and not even worth engaging :)

Ultimately, it's a poorly designed intersection, even without Hawthorne Man.

Attornatus_Oregonensis 05-30-2008 12:56 PM

Was that a Cypress Hill reference?

brock 05-30-2008 12:58 PM

Um, yes, I guess so... :) Showing my age, or my maturity, or something :)

tao 05-30-2008 01:19 PM

Different Perspective

Not mean to crash the party. However, since the guy shows up several year back, I found it easier to cross the on-ramp from the Madison St.

In the past, almost always (when I past there anyway), cars would stop right on the crossing bike lane to check the traffic. After the guy start showing up, I found that cars stop after the bike lane and I have easier time to cross. Is it just a coincidence? Looks like some of you have totally different perceptions.

Anyway, just my 0.02. Your mileages may vary.

Stay safe

brock 05-30-2008 01:44 PM

Interesting!