Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) (http://bikeportland.org/forum/index.php)
-   Route Info (http://bikeportland.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   St. Johns bridge crossing (http://bikeportland.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1793)

noordijk 04-14-2008 01:06 PM

St. Johns bridge crossing

I'm planning to start commuting via bicycle from North Portland to Sauvie Island and was wondering about the safety of biking over the St. Johns Bridge.

Thanks,

heidi

Options Guy 04-15-2008 04:31 PM

No Po to Sauvie

Quote:

Originally Posted by noordijk (Post 10419)
I'm planning to start commuting via bicycle from North Portland to Sauvie Island and was wondering about the safety of biking over the St. Johns Bridge.

Thanks,

heidi

I can't speak to commute-hour conditions, but I rode this route on Sunday and was pleased. West-bound there was a lot of debris on the sidewalk, but it was wide enough to feel safe with no other traffic (read: pedestrians).

Returning eastbound you have a climb from Hwy 30 and need to be alert at a couple of intersections (NW Germantown & Springville coming out of the Forest Park side, essentially from over your right shoulder). You also need to be careful about moving over to the left-hand turn lane to get back on the bridge. On a Sunday, not too bad. During rush hour? Dunno.
I encountered a pedestrian on the eastbound leg over the Bridge. The sidewalk is narrow enough that I chose to stop and let her pass.

Enjoy the views on your ride!

Duncan 04-15-2008 05:58 PM

I just dont feel comfortable taking the sidewalk on that bridge- I think that it is because I am tall enough that on a bike my center of gravity is above the railing and if I slipped I would go over the rail. I just take the lane. I dont do it every day but once or twice a month and It feels safer to me- besides I always go over from st johns to downtown and I have to be in the left lane.

I really wish they would monitor traffic speeds on that bridge better- most of the issue I have is people who shoot by me when I am at the 35MPH speed limit on the way down hill.

fetishridr 04-16-2008 03:09 PM

i ride the sidewalk up and then bail into traffic

i feel uncomfortable on the bridge, but some traffic is over 60mph, so i use the sidewalk up , and then jump off at the towers where you have to slow. if you have strong wheels you can just bunny hop off.
the traffic is just too fast for me to ride the whole thing.

Duncan 04-16-2008 04:35 PM

whichever way you choose, make sure you have lights!

If you have seen traffic over 60MPH you should call the SAFE line and get some MV enforcment up there. I have seen plenty of traffic ( I drive it quite a bit myself) and have never seen anything that fast or I would have called already.

fetishridr 04-17-2008 06:56 AM

its hard to get a license when traffic passes that fast

i've definitely seen speeds that fast eastbound on the bridge. closing speeds are still fast when you compare 30 mph to 60 mph. the whole crossing is unpleasant. either you're trying to move at a decent clip and dodging traffic on the road deck, or you're trying to not fall over the rail from the sidewalk, and those tight spots by the towers require almost stopping each way. i ride in st johns fairly often, but i avoid going over the bridge because it sucks, and because it dumps you onto a bunch of sucky riding.
if you're trying to get to sauvie its fine, but if its just the west hills, i go up cornell/thompson or saltzman.

what is the multnomah/clackamas/washington county help line non emergency #. i usually dial 911, but its not the appropriate #

29"er 04-18-2008 10:51 AM

Take the Lane !!

I ride over the bridge during rush hour regularly and I always take the lane. There rarely is a day where some #$#! doesn't tell me to get on the sidewalk but with pedestrians there it makes me more nervous. The bridge is signed "bikes on roadway" but those sharrow signs like 19th sure would be nice.