Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) (http://bikeportland.org/forum/index.php)
-   Notices & Feedback (http://bikeportland.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Problems joining the forums (http://bikeportland.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1441)

K'Tesh 12-09-2007 12:56 AM

Problems joining the forums

I get a message like this about once a week.

Quote:

K'Tesh,

I signed up a insert amount of time ago, and I still can't post. Can you help me?

Turns out that you MUST to send an email to the host to be approved (I'm sorry, I, myself, have no way of authorizing or approving your request)...

Just email:

maus[dot]jonathan[at]gmail[dot]com

With the s*bj*ct:

"K'Tesh Sent Me..."

And include with your request:

Your sign-in name (Offensive, or product driven names will be blocked... So pill pushers, or sex sites can forget it).

I'd also make a point to mention something about our forum subject so he can be certain you're not some spammer.

Hope this helps...
K'Tesh

Jonathan Maus 12-12-2007 08:48 AM

just want everyone reading the above post by K'Tesh to know that I've made him a moderator so he can help me out with activating new users more quickly.

--Jonathan

Ox302B 12-13-2007 08:35 AM

Yay :) That's good to hear. Hopefully it will prevent others from the same experience I suffered through ;)

K'Tesh 12-10-2008 11:26 AM

A little followup...

And if you still can't post after following the steps outlined above, Private Message me, and I'll forward it on to Jonathan.

I can't say how long it will take him to do it, but he does check things out often.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

Chain of Fool 12-18-2008 07:14 PM

the site's software platform

I'm very fond of Portland Bike Forums and the rich flow of personalities and info I get here. I even send a little out now and then. However, I find the site's software platform exasperating. When I log in I get another log in screen ! When I send a message from my account I get another log in screen ! This morning I lost a half hour of painful 2 finger typing messaging K'Tesh when it dumped me out to log in again !
I can anticipate a few possible answers to these problems, and you can quickly reply by selecting one from the following list, if it's true :
(A) This site is administered by bike enthusiasts who do it as a contribution to the community. Don't bother them with detail you should eventually figure out for yourself. Buck up and be thankful for their service.
(B)The software platform actually is a little buggy. Nothing can be done here. We all have to live with it.
(C)Things haven't been the same since the site was hacked last summer. Perhaps your account was corrupted in some way. We'll check it out, and fix it if possible.
(D) _____.

steve knight 12-18-2008 10:39 PM

I have to login sometimes a few extra times but it is not often. same with bentriders it uses the same software. it may be a browser issue.

K'Tesh 03-22-2009 11:42 PM

Talked to Jonathan about this issue again.

We came to the decision that the old subject line (from the intro email) was too generic, and easy for spammer software to send off a authentic looking request.

So, we decided to change it to something that's really unique.

"K'Tesh Sent Me..."

Not that I personally sent everybody here to Jonathan, but you gotta admit, this is not as ordinary as:

"Please approve me for the forums"

Hopefully this will streamline the process for legitimate forum members.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

K'Tesh 01-22-2010 10:58 PM

Reminder...

Since the PM system is disabled for new members, I'm not getting the messages from new users.

The ONLY way new users will be approved is if they follow the prescribed method above. The forum's are under constant pressure from spammers, and this is the only way we can sort those who belong here from those who don't.

I've been banning suspected spammers left and right, if I've accidentally banned a genuine application, I appologize. You can still email the forum owner with the correct subject line, and be approved.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh