PDA

View Full Version : possibly moving to portland....

bostonfix
06-20-2007, 05:49 AM
So youve probably seen this post a million times over here...but my cousin and I are considering moving out to portland but neither of us have much knowledge of the area, atleast I dont. what neighborhoods are cool to live in what afforadable...obviously ill be biking out there so what are some good locations to live that are a good commute (under an hour) on a bike into the city

any help or advise would be awsome...hopefully I can join you all on some rides sometime in the near future!!

adam

ds3509
06-20-2007, 07:23 AM
You're probably best off in SE Portland. Brooklyn, Hawthorne, Woodstock areas are all nice. And a ride to downtown is 30 minutes tops.

nuovorecord
06-20-2007, 09:03 AM
Pretty much anywhere in the Portland region is a half hour or less from downtown via bike.

Take a look at the bike and transit network maps to get an idea of where the more cycle-friendly neighborhoods are. Check out:

www.trimet.org
www.portlandonline.com/transportation/index.cfm?c=34809
www.bycycle.org

The closer to downtown, the more costly housing is, generally speaking. But compared to Boston, you'll think it's a steal. SE Portland has the best mix of fun neighborhoods and good cycling infrastructure. N and NE Portland though, is up and coming. Check out the Kenton, Alberta, or St. Johns neighborhoods.

Oldguyonabike
06-21-2007, 09:32 AM
I agree with the last post. Sellwood and SE neighborhoods along the Springwater have the added advantage of a car-free commute along the river into downtown. Great way to start and end the day. There's an osprey nest with chicks on a tower along the route. Big wetland with great blue heron and other water fowl.

bostonfix
06-21-2007, 11:11 AM
ok how about this question...other than the always present craigslist...know of any good online apartment searches? craigslist is showing me alot of townhouses and coplexes that remind me of old folks homes

thanks for your suggestions thus far though!!

ds3509
06-21-2007, 11:53 AM
http://www.oregonlive.com is the website for the local daily paper. They have an online classified section. There is always http://www.apartmentfinder.com, but I never had luck looking there.

TiAx
06-22-2007, 06:28 PM
While you may find a lot of areas less expensive here than in Boston, you can also expect to make way less money...if you can find a job in your field.

A lot of native Oregonians have been upset (artificially blown out of proportion or not) with people moving here (mostly from California) and selling their house down there for double what it is here, and moving here and driving up the market, while our wages remain flat. "Californication" it used to be called. But now, it's been so common with so many transplants, it's hardly mentioned anymore. So, if you own a house in Boston, or a condo on Newbury St., you'll get what you want here.

Oh, you do like rain, don't you?