PDA

View Full Version : I wannabe a fixed gear hipster

pidamos
06-14-2007, 12:20 PM
I want to be a fixed gear hipster because they are well, Hip! I have a 1970's model roadbike that appears to be all original. I don't think I'll have too much trouble converting it from 10 speed to fixed, but that doesn't make me a hipster. Do hipsters wear helmets? I know they don't wear the spandex so that's out of the question; I have a good pair of shorts that cut off at my knees so I think those will do. Is it more vintage/tight fitting clothing? Is there certain hipster lingo or handshakes that I need to know about?

So, how did you become a hipster? I doubt you were born one so at some point you must have converted or evolved into one. What did it take?

brock
06-14-2007, 01:21 PM
hey, stereotypes are funny!

oh wait, i mean dumb.

mizake
06-14-2007, 01:21 PM
Go to Stumptown downtown. Plop your eager/sarcastic ass in a chair. Take notes.

finallyinpdx
06-14-2007, 01:45 PM
to NOT wear a helmet. ;)
nice first post.

lynnef
06-14-2007, 02:03 PM
try here for helpful tips:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hipster

tao
06-14-2007, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the info, lynnef.
Darn, I am too old to become one. :(

mizake
06-14-2007, 03:07 PM
I avoid the hipster label entirely by being a metalhead. Although...I might be some kind of older hybrid since I ride a track bike. Weird.

vseven
06-14-2007, 07:35 PM
If I am correct....it's a subculture. The "hipsters" in the bike shop I moonlite in 20 hrs a week are riding fixies & shun, no HATE lycra (yet never ride far enough to need it) and smoke (pot and tobacco) They also spend every dime they make on maintaining the image. They are simply....darlings, they put together their spare parts to build the only chick in the shop a single speed.(THAT'S ME XO) I think, like for all of us, it's only about BIKE LOVE, however we choose to express it. Spread it, tolerate the differences, our 10 spds from the 70's are their passion, recycle, reuse, buy a better bike now that you are out of your 20's :) Or do your bike lovin however you please.
I think "Peace Out "may be a hipster way of signing off.

mizake
06-14-2007, 07:46 PM
yes, i agree.

Suburban
06-14-2007, 09:19 PM
To the young man on swan island 6/14 late am with ink and a track ish bike, Just nice to see some fellow on his way deep into a blue collar (chruck drivin) and hilly realm and not just rolling on kinder zipcodes. When we die others make up a little story for us, then soon forget and repeat our various mistakes and successes.

nofrills
06-15-2007, 08:28 AM
Make your own hip, rookie.

toddistic
06-15-2007, 09:56 AM
i guess i'm almost a hipster, just need to get a fixie

haggis
06-15-2007, 11:18 AM
If I were better at spinning the wheels, I might aspire to be a hamster, but that's over-reaching. Hipster is right out.

wsbob
06-15-2007, 11:26 AM
Fixie hipsters are funny to see. I guess I get kind of a kick out of seeing them around. Fixie bikes definitely have a certain sleek, minimalist beauty that's easy on the eyes. It's just kind of funny to see some suburban kid with a graphic arts wind swept anime hairdo, black rolled up carharts with cartridge belt and black converse high tops get on one of them to ride. And don't they get kind of tired riding in just one gear, all the time? Aparrently not.

rainperimeter
06-15-2007, 12:33 PM
I avoid the hipster label entirely by being a metalhead. Although...I might be some kind of older hybrid since I ride a track bike. Weird.

we're in the same boat mizake. death to false metal...

toddistic
06-15-2007, 10:23 PM
im into deathmetal, maybe we can make a new group called metalisters

mizake
06-16-2007, 11:49 AM
im into deathmetal, maybe we can make a new group called metalisters

i have no idea what that means, but i'm all for it!

pidamos
06-16-2007, 02:49 PM
From what I've read, here and other sources, I don't think I can ever truly become a fixed gear hipster. I can look like one, ride like one, and think I'm one, but I won't ever have the culture of a fixie. If people can look at me and think 'hey, that guy is a fixie', then I've succeeded in my efforts.

I live in suburbia with the occassional hills, how does a fixie conquer such an incline? Also, going down the hills at a high rate of speed could cause some potential probelms, I've seen where some fixies just put their feet up.

One more thing, does anyone know of any bike messenger jobs available?

rubbish heap
06-16-2007, 10:50 PM
1) i ride a track bike and it's a lot of fun to ride one gear all the time. no one seems to ever pass me while going up or down hills either. it's simplicity and fun, same reason some ride single speed freewheels.
2) no, you'll have a hell of a time trying to get a job as a messenger. there's a long waiting list and a hierarchy of who gets what job in this city, and if you don't know anybody it's going to be next to impossible unless you're in the right place at the right time. besides, there's a difference between bike messengers and hipsters, even if there's some occassional overlappage.

moral of my post is: stereotypes suck, hipsters smell funny, this thread is kind of lame.

wsbob
06-16-2007, 11:49 PM
What is it exactly that hipsters smell like? I'm actually inclined to agree that there may be a smell distinctive to some of them, but I haven't figured out what it is. Maybe it's mousse'. Some of them, male and female, all smell a little too pretty.

baravettski
06-24-2007, 09:13 PM
moral of my post is: stereotypes suck, hipsters smell funny, this thread is kind of lame.

Yes. But I do appreciate the metal fans. \m/

mizake
06-26-2007, 12:27 PM
perhaps some kind of bike-ish metal activity of sorts is needed?

toddistic
06-26-2007, 01:00 PM
i agree, there are plenty of metal loving bikers! UNITE!

rainperimeter
06-26-2007, 02:03 PM
yeah, but what type of metal? if it gets radio play it's not metal. if there are "clean" vocals, generally speaking, forget it. also, there are far too many ironic metal fans around...

i rode down to the hawthorne theater on saturday for the goregon massacre fest and they wouldn't let me in because i had my backpack. bullshit.

nofrills
06-26-2007, 03:27 PM
I've got "Wheels of Fire" (Manowar) jarring my earholes as I'm posting this. Am I in?

mizake
06-26-2007, 03:32 PM
Ironic fans of metal are annoying. Some bands have clean vocals that I like quite a lot, and many more that do not have clean vocals. We should not be *too* exclusive I think. But I do agree regarding newer metal that is played on the radio...although admittedly, I haven't listened to the radio in a long time, so I don't really know what's played anymore.

Any suggestions as to what we should do? So far we have rainperimeter, toddistic, and baravettski. There must be others...

norse rider
06-26-2007, 09:49 PM
Did someone say METAL? Ammon Amarth, Iced Earth, Slayer, Carcas, At the Gates....the list is long. So is the metal. Nothing better then bomming down Patton Rd listening to a little Morbid Angel. ( I do not condone or endorse the use of ear phones while riding.:rolleyes: ) Metal warriors on steel horses let us unleash hell across the mighty lanes of traffic!

rainperimeter
06-27-2007, 02:54 AM
i just got home from work and am checking the email. i get an email from a buddy asking me about the SUNN 0)))/WITR show next week. he then tells me about something he read on the Greg Anderson wikipedia page. so i decide to cruise on over there and no shit, the featured article on wikipedia's home page is about SLAYER. how metal is that?

kind of amusing, it should be that way for the entire day (6.27 now) if you want to see that as they're featured article...

mizake: there are definately a few things i like that have clean vocals as opposed to monster vokills, anguished screams or frantic shrieking. i prefer it this way though...like do i really want to know burzum lyrics? know what i mean?

anyways if any of y'all haven't seen SUNN you should. i recommend it for the experience even if you don't listen to their records. Also, Wolves In The Throne Room, from Oly, play long thrashing black metal epics. I've seen them maybe a half dozen times and they totally slay. Their album, "Diadem Of 12 Stars" is excellent.

mizake
06-27-2007, 07:51 AM
Well, at the very least we should all meet up for a beer. Probably something central would work best since we seem to be pretty spread out...

nofrills
06-27-2007, 09:02 AM
DarkBlack and Manslaughter have a show coming up at the Tube on July 16th.
I've never heard Manslaughter, but DarkBlack is kinda Maiden-esque. It's 5 bucks at the door. I think someone else is playing as well, but I can't recall. Should be a good show. We could all meet up there and.... y'know..... head-bang and stuff.

mizake
06-27-2007, 09:43 AM
I've never been there nor heard of the bands playing there, but I think I could probably make it. I've got a short track race that evening, so it really all depends on how tired I am when I'm done. Then again, showing up there all dirty and sweaty and headbanging with a beer in hand sounds kind of appealing... fear my stench!

medpass
06-30-2007, 06:20 PM
i agree, there are plenty of metal loving bikers! UNITE!

I'm IN --- hail satan!

mizake
06-30-2007, 06:35 PM
I'm IN --- hail satan!

awesome.

I see a bike metal gang forming...

baravettski
06-30-2007, 08:36 PM
sorry, been out of the mix for a minute. The Tube is a small little spot, but metal bands might make it fun. sounds like a plan. Metal Monday? shit yes. The metalocalypse shall begin...

baravettski
06-30-2007, 08:37 PM
sidebar, for a pretty fucking metal fixed gear, check out this jam...

http://velospace.org/node/3547

toddistic
07-02-2007, 10:56 AM
sidebar, for a pretty fucking metal fixed gear, check out this jam...

http://velospace.org/node/3547

thats sick!

mizake
07-02-2007, 12:04 PM
Here's my Necromonkey:

http://velospace.org/node/3809

pdxtex
07-06-2007, 07:07 PM
if you really want to be down with the cool kids (insert sarcasm) don't forget to run every f#$king stop sign and break all the traffic laws. but to be serious, fixed geared bikes are cool, just ride they way you would drive a car so you don't get turned into a stylish, black clad pancake!!!

Duncan
07-08-2007, 08:38 AM
if you really want to be down with the cool kids (insert sarcasm) don't forget to run every f#$king stop sign and break all the traffic laws. but to be serious, fixed geared bikes are cool, just ride they way you would drive a car so you don't get turned into a stylish, black clad pancake!!!

Dont forget to wear all black, black bike, no lights or reflectors when you ride at night!

mizake
07-08-2007, 09:20 PM
Dont forget to wear all black, black bike, no lights or reflectors when you ride at night!

hahaha! never heard that one before!

pidamos
07-17-2007, 03:54 AM
My zeal for being a fixie hipster is fading away, there is no encouragement here! Well, at least for now. I think fixies perceive themselves as being cooler than others actually do. I'm just going to ride my '70's model ASTRA "Tour De France" bi-sickle with my sandals and polo shirt with faded jeans.

mizake
07-17-2007, 05:59 AM
I couldn't make it to that show. had to work 12 hours yesterday. same for the next 3 days. suck.

chopstic
07-17-2007, 11:39 PM
My most recent hipster encounter involved a rider in full "that 70's show" attire wearing a World War II helmet, yep... thats right... a WW2 helmet, this guy was obviously ready for some combat duty. Portland is setting the bar high to gain fixie hipster status.