PDA

View Full Version : Best PDX Bike tool dealers?

PDXfly
06-10-2007, 11:30 PM
Could anyone tell me where the best place(s) to buy bike tools around Portland? I'm wanting to take up bike repair, so far I have order the Topeak Alien II 26-Function Bicycle Tool; I'm really anxious to get it. Also could anyone recommend any good books on the subject?
________
R90S (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/BMW_R90S)

mike_khad1
06-11-2007, 11:32 AM
I have three bike maintenance books:

Park Tool's Big Blue Book of Bicycle Maintenance
Bicycling Magazine's complete book of bicycle repair and maintenance
Zinn and the art of road bike maintenance.

I've just ordered a 4th maintenance book and I'm waiting for B&N to get it in: The Haynes Bicycle Book.

I terms of where to buy tools, REI, Bike and Hike, and River City Bicycle have a pretty good selection. I've special ordered some tools from Bike and Hike also.

Also check out the website http://www.biketoolsetc.com/. The only down side is you have to pay for shipping.

brock
06-11-2007, 01:24 PM
Zinn's book is the bible of bike repair.

Check out the Park Tools website - they have a ton of information for any type of repair you'd want to do, and it's free.

Bike tools are expensive. If you can, for home use, get what you need at a hardware store (allen wrenches come to mind). CCC has a free toolbox you can use if you need something more obscure.

BeerdedOne
07-09-2007, 04:57 PM
Yes, it is expensive and way more detailed than most people need, but I highly recommend Barnett's Manual as a comprehensive guide for the would-be bicycle mechanic, so long as you have a working knowledge of the fundamentals.

New to PDX myself, so I can't recommend a place for tools yet. :)

shanti
07-15-2007, 06:22 PM
Universal Cycles on NW 18th & Thurman is mainly a mail-order company, but you can stop by and buy whatever they have online right there. Not much for a storefront, but they have more of just about anything in stock then any bike shop, they'll price match just about anything, and you don't get the typical stuck up bike shop attitude.

BillD
07-15-2007, 09:44 PM
I do a lot of business with Universal. You can order online and they will send you an email when your order is ready to pick up. Very convenient and no shipping cost. Also a knowledgeable staff and several cats roaming about the place.

donnambr
07-16-2007, 07:01 PM
Universal is great. You can also do the same order online & pick up at store with no shipping thing at REI. While their in-store selection of bike tools leaves a lot to be desired here in Portland, their online selection is very good. Also, Citybikes sometimes has an interesting selection of atypical bike tools in the store.

Generally speaking, if there's any kind of tool that isn't bike-specific, it's a Sears Craftsman for me. The only exception is my set of Bondhus hex ball drivers. Hall Tool on Grand has a very nice tool selection including Bondhus, but they're not cheap.