PDA

View Full Version : Beware: Wire Was Strung Across I5 Bike Path

marco452
06-09-2007, 11:35 AM
According to a posting just put in the OBRA mailing list:

Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 18:56:41 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [OBRA Chat] Beware
To: obra@list.obra.org

A word of caution, a friend of mine was riding home
this morning at about 12:30am northbound over the I5
bridge on the bike lane/sidewalk. At the north end
coming down off the bridge, someone attached a piece
of metal wire completely across the lane about
chest/neck height. He was able to get his arm up to
partially block it, but it shredded his shirt, cut his
arm and face up, and knocked him off his bike. He
ended up on the far right lane on the freeway, and was
nearly run over by a northbound car. He's lucky he
had a headlight and caught just a glimpse of the wire
before hitting it. He's ok, but just a word of
caution to those who ride. Ride safe, Scott Klinger

Jeff Wills
06-09-2007, 07:29 PM
According to a posting just put in the OBRA mailing list:

Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 18:56:41 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [OBRA Chat] Beware
To: obra@list.obra.org

A word of caution, a friend of mine was riding home
this morning at about 12:30am northbound over the I5
bridge on the bike lane/sidewalk. At the north end
coming down off the bridge, someone attached a piece
of metal wire completely across the lane about
chest/neck height. He was able to get his arm up to
partially block it, but it shredded his shirt, cut his
arm and face up, and knocked him off his bike. He
ended up on the far right lane on the freeway, and was
nearly run over by a northbound car. He's lucky he
had a headlight and caught just a glimpse of the wire
before hitting it. He's ok, but just a word of
caution to those who ride. Ride safe, Scott Klinger

Hard to imagine someone being knocked off the bike path and on to the freeway. You'd have to lifted up and over a 3-foot concrete wall and through quite a lot of steel girders. Not saying this couldn't happen, but I don't see how it could happen. Was a police report filed?

Jeff

the Wumpus
06-09-2007, 09:06 PM
Maybe if the wire was strung across at an angle?
Something like that could easily be deadly! If someone hit it at speed and slid across it with some momentum, a small diameter steel cable could do some absolutely horrific slicing and dicing. And if that's the case, that it was strung across at an angle, think what could have happened if it was angled the other way...
Please say a police report was filed! Both Vancouver and Portland police!
And everyone keep an eye open, someone knew they were likely to seriously injure or kill a cyclist.

ericthehalfab
06-13-2007, 08:58 PM
What's going on here? One sicko? That takes a lot of effort and planning to do this?

PDXfly
06-14-2007, 02:24 PM
I sure hope it got cut down before anyone else got hurt!
________
RC113 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_RC113)

nofrills
06-15-2007, 07:42 AM
Please say a police report was filed!

+1

This is seriosly horrific! Is your friend alright? There is a special place in Hades for whatever sick, twisted, poor excuse for a human being did this. This is a situation where I wouldn't mind administering some painful vigilante justice. I hope this disgraceful wretch is brought to justice.

shinypurple
06-19-2007, 08:20 AM
About a month ago I was at the City Bikes Annex when a woman came in saying that someone had strung razor wire across the street in front of the shop and she'd popped both tires. She said there were broken bottles all around there as well. It happened to her at about 5 am, if I remember correctly.

Are there anti-bike sentiments strong enough that people would resort to intentionally hurting unsuspecting bikers? That seems crazy.

bikerinNE
06-19-2007, 04:32 PM
About a month ago I was at the City Bikes Annex when a woman came in saying that someone had strung razor wire across the street in front of the shop and she'd popped both tires. She said there were broken bottles all around there as well. It happened to her at about 5 am, if I remember correctly.

Are there anti-bike sentiments strong enough that people would resort to intentionally hurting unsuspecting bikers? That seems crazy.

Wire strung across bike paths, broken bottles and razor wire in front of bike shops? Why doesn't this make the five o'clock news, yet bicyclists blowing stop signs does?

Portland is a great bicycling community, but with the kids out for summer and people in a rush on hot summer days, baking in their cars, tempers get short, people impatient, and it's usually the vulnerable bicyclist that gets the short of end of the stick, be careful out there, the road is a dangerous place.