PDA

View Full Version : anyone else?

Beegeeboss
06-04-2007, 09:19 AM
Hey all! Been reading for a while taking advantage of route info, etc...and decided to post.

I commute to work 4-5 days a week, but am only on my bike for 20-30 minutes each way. On weekends when I do longer rides, I sometimes experience numbness in a couple of my toes. I did some searching and that sounds like a common problem due to saddle issues and often cleat position.

Last weekend, I did my longest ride ever - 175 miles out to the coast and back over the long weekend.

Since then, my big toe has stayed numb! It's been a week, and I'm afraid to get back on my bike! Has anyone else experienced long-lasting numbness? Should I go see a doc??

Thanks for your input!

Mike

Jonathan Maus
06-04-2007, 11:50 AM
I've dealt with toe numbness for as long as I can remember.

it could be a variety of causes including the fit of your shoes, the tightness of your laces/straps, your positioning on the bike, your body's circulation, etc...

have you considered getting a professional bike fit?

it remains a problem for me. one thing I do is try and keep my toes moving. Each pedal stroke I wiggle them a bit to stimulate blood flow. I also make sure to stand and pedal and move around every so often.

I would check into accupuncture before going to a regular doctor.

Beegeeboss
06-04-2007, 11:54 AM
Hmmm...I haven't looked into getting my bike fit.

Did you ever have the numbness last for a few days? I can't believe it's been a week. Thought it would go away by now.

Just want to make sure I don't loose my toe! :-)

mizake
06-04-2007, 12:44 PM
I second Jonathan's suggestion that you be professionally fitted. It can make a HUGE difference. An experienced fitter could also notice things that you may be doing incorrectly.

Beegeeboss
06-04-2007, 12:46 PM
cool...I will look into it. Any suggestions for the Westside?

fetishridr
06-04-2007, 02:12 PM
Todd Cruz Physical Therapist for Therapeutic Associates Incorporated 503 227 3479. He's good and can accept insurance ($100). He fit me and it definitely helped. his office is off NW 24th in a huge buisiness park kind of by the FAT Tire FARM.

good luck.

apocalypse
06-04-2007, 02:14 PM
The numbness is typically caused by pressure on a nerve, same as your arm or leg falling asleep. The problem will usually go away within a few days (a week at most).

However, there are serious problems that can occur over the long term with nerve compression issues.

This link has some information about erectile issues, however the same information applies to any parts of your body that "go numb".

http://blogs.webmd.com/mens-health-office/2006/03/bicycle-seats-and-erectile-dysfunction.html

Beegeeboss
06-04-2007, 02:35 PM
Thanks everyone...definitely some things to look into.

I appreciate the feedback.

nm973
06-04-2007, 03:27 PM
I notice this on my longer rides, and find that I have some general swelling around my extremeties (wedding ring is tighter, etc.). I find my feet start to go numb even with wiggling my toes. I have learned that after a couple hours when my feet start getting numb I loosen the straps on my shoes and the circulation improves drastically.
I have had some numbness in the feet last for a couple days, but never a week. I would go see a professional of some kind. Also some massage may help as well.

Beegeeboss
06-05-2007, 10:20 AM
Yeah...I tried to convince my wife that a foot massage would help...you can guess how well that went over! HAH!

nm973
06-05-2007, 02:20 PM
Well, you could always pay for a massage. Would the $$$ be enough motivation for the wife? :)

Pedalphile
06-05-2007, 05:41 PM
Convince your wife that a foot massage would help by giving her one, first. If she likes it, she'll probably return the favor.

Cecil
06-06-2007, 08:02 PM
Convince your wife that a foot massage would help by giving her one, first. If she likes it, she'll probably return the favor.

A trade-off that works for all kinds of favors . . . :D

Pedalphile
06-07-2007, 01:35 PM
. . . and it doesn't require NAFTA, CAFTA, or SHAFTYA to make it a Fair Trade Act.