PDA

View Full Version : Please Spread Politeness

beelnite
06-01-2007, 11:58 AM
Passionate pleas for bicyclists, particularly Downtown/SE riders. A lot of us already do this stuff - this is for the ones getting carried away. Building a good rep is incumbent on all of us:

1) Waterfront - Slow down please. It really isn't a bike lane and there are small children and people everywhere. We should be coasting leisurely and watching out for folks -no faster than jogging pace- or better yet, avoid the Waterfront entirely!

2) Hawthorne Bridge - Look the peds have the right of way even if they are in the bike lane. Got it? Also - Yelling at the top of your lungs "On your Left!!!" doesn't require the person riding in front of you to move over immediately. So what? You're on the left, 'Mr. Only-Riding-to-28th-Ave.' The person in front of you may not be able to swerve right for your sick butt because he/she is approaching pedestrians. What's the big hurry anyway - you've got at least 4-5 timed lights ahead of you and even Lance Armstrong is going to be stopped at one of them. Ease up, enjoy the draft and make your move proper, please. Maybe say "hello" or "have a nice day".

3) Stop Lights - Is this a freakin bike race? See above. Please just get in line and pass when it's cool. It's like driving on Hwy 101- when you're stuck behind a motor home - it's totally uncool to jump the line from behind, screwing the people already behind the beast waiting their turn. It's dangerous as well to jump the bike lane to pass two riders side by side. Drivers hate it too and sorta want to hit you.

Consider these passing tips an opportunity to practice your distance race passing! Experience the joy of drafting! Really, it is pretty cool when the winds pick up over Hawthorne B.

4) Crosswalks, particularly - Ladd Circle area - Hey, by law we have to yield just as cars do. Try it - like really overdo it. I mean you should see the shock and then expression of joy on people's faces when you patiently wait for them to cross. It's cool and they kinda lose the "bicyclists are jerks" mentality.

I encourage anyone reading this post and who agrees to help spread a politer bicycle culture. We don't need to act like the autos!!! If you see someone tearing it up on the Waterfront... say something.

Thanks - beel out.

Oldguyonabike
06-01-2007, 12:19 PM
Thanks Beel. I concur.
The only things I would add are:
5. Use front and back lights from dusk to dawn. Most autos (drunks and rednecks aside) don't want to run over cyclists but if they can't see us they swear at us after almost hitting us.
6. Signal your turns. How many times have we thumped cars that turn in front of us without signalling? When they thump us because they don't know where we are going it hurts a lot more.

brock
06-01-2007, 12:49 PM
Another:

Wave and smile at motorists when they yeild to you when you have the right of way. I'll often see cross traffic vehicles pull up to a stop sign and patiently wait for me to pass, even when there was room for them to pull out.

Tbird
06-01-2007, 01:27 PM
Beel- You said it...!

finallyinpdx
06-02-2007, 12:24 PM
nice thread... as a motorist, and old bicyclist rejoining the bike world...
i make a point to thumbs up cyclists when we compliment each others sharing of the roadways.

Pedalphile
06-02-2007, 01:34 PM
Politeness, indeed! Anything that helps ease tensions between motorists and bicyclists (and pedestrians and bicyclists) is a good thing for bicyclists. If overt displays of good manners cause non-bicyclists to view bicyclists in a more favorable light, we all benefit.

groundshero
06-02-2007, 04:09 PM
A while ago, I got into the habit of saying 'thanks' whenever I notice a driver giving me extra room, not cutting me off, or in any other noticeable way showing that they are aware of cyclists.

They probably never hear me, but it keeps me from obscessing on the few motorists that don't pay attention.

vseven
06-02-2007, 07:42 PM
KHARMA........... let us put it forward, hope it comes to us or just demonstrate our hope for it. In the united belief we CAN co-exist with the demon SUV. I am NOT, BTW joking.

Attornatus_Oregonensis
06-02-2007, 08:12 PM
Personally, I don't think we can co-exist with the demon SUV. It causes global climate change and it perpetuates reliance on middle-eastern oil/war. It's soon to go the way of the do-do. And there is absolutely no reason that any patriotic American should tolerate it.

vseven
06-03-2007, 05:33 AM
Agreed in the sense you speak of, let me clarify, co -exist as long as we have no choice...as long as the stupid things are still on the road.

norse rider
06-03-2007, 08:22 PM
Personally, I don't think we can co-exist with the demon SUV. It causes global climate change and it perpetuates reliance on middle-eastern oil/war. It's soon to go the way of the do-do. And there is absolutely no reason that any patriotic American should tolerate it.
I, good sir, agree. This should be the post of the day.

Haven_kd7yct
06-04-2007, 09:16 AM
To add:

1A) Avoid the Waterfront when Rose Festival is in town, or time your rides through there so that you miss the heavy foot traffic. Earlier in the day is best, especially before the Waterfront Village opens at 11! :)

And I agree, it's not a race, folks. If you're training for one, you need to pick your routes to avoid heavy bike, ped, and vehicle traffic. Just a thought.

Good thread!

jami
06-04-2007, 11:20 AM
i read "do-do" as "doo-doo". suvs have already gone the way of the doodoo.

three cheers for polite cycling, but two cheers even for grouchy cycling. just try not to make anyone hate us all, okay grouches?

wlrdr
06-05-2007, 10:54 AM
I have a friend who has a request.

He is an avid runner and is constantly being startled by cyclists passing him very closely without announcing themselves.

A simple "on your left" would suffice and would go along way towards keeping everyone safe.

I commute 2-3 days a week 11 miles each way and have for about 2 months. I have gotten into the habit of thanking drivers who actually make eye contact with me. Since I've been cycling to work I found when I do get behind the wheel of my car I drive differently.

My 2 cents.

Pete

beelnite
06-05-2007, 04:35 PM
Ton of good riders out there and I appreciate the good thoughts and replies. The person who spoke of Karma drove the point home. We can rise above the tension with ridiculous acts of kidness.

One note on the "On your left" - Just cuz you're yelling out, don't expect pedestrians - or other bicyclists to move. It's meant to announce where you are at. It's not an emergency siren requiring everyone to pull to the right.

I had this happen the other day. This gal just kept screaming at a buddy and I as I was walking my bike and he beside me on foot. Waterfront.

"On your left! Excuse me!!! On your left!!! GEESUS! LEFT!!! @#@#$@#$!"

Not cool.

Our philosophy of politeness may take some education for the victims of these types of assaults. It sorta freaks people out when I don't cut them off, buzz them or force the slower bikes to the side. I can see the gears turning "What is he doing? Why isn't he yelling?"

One cool cat practically pulled his bike to the sidewalk after spotting me in his rearview approaching the Hawthorne in-bound this morning. I was just hanging because it's narrow (and windy - hey I'm lazy). I'll start letting folks know what I'm doing - being patient- I think.

Haven_kd7yct
06-06-2007, 08:51 AM
Ha ha, that's pretty funny, beelnite! :) On Sunday we had a family group of 4 stop 2 on either side of the path as we approached. I called out, "Passing in the middle!" just so they'd know where we were going. :)

BTW, when I see in my mirror that someone is approaching me from behind, I wait until they're close enough to pass if they want and then get as far right as possible so they have enough room. Some of the super-competitive male commuters I see don't even warn me but blow by me on the left in the car lane as fast as they can hammer. Gotta get yer training when you can, I guess. :)

brock
06-06-2007, 09:23 AM
Huh, I never thought to warn someone in a bike lane that I was passing in the vehicle lane. It's not like you get a warning from the cars in the vehicle lane...

lynnef
06-06-2007, 10:57 AM
I can hear the car. A well-maintained bike is silent :-)

What irks me are cyclists coming up behind me on my right when I'm waiting at a light, not announcing their presence, then blowing by me on my right while crossing the intersection.

brock
06-06-2007, 11:33 AM
Ahh, well you'd probably hear me, my seatpost creaks something fierce right now :)

I guess I figured if I was in the middle of the lane, I'd be leaving around ten feet of space for anyone I'm passing, and that didn't warrant a warning. Personally, I don't think I'd ever been surprised by anyone passing me in that fashion, but I maintain a pretty high level of awareness of cars, bikes, pedestrians, etc. around me - even the silent ones coming up fast. But I'll keep the comments in mind!

dawndol
06-06-2007, 12:46 PM
Huzzah for polite cyclists! I've always tried to be super polite on my bike - I'm not going to piss off a rhino in the veldt, why would I piss off a soccermom in an SUV? I also have a soft spot for obvious newbies - I just began commuting a year ago.

I would just like to add that politeness extends to following bike laws (and bothering to learn them), wearing a helmet (it's polite to the driver who just gets really unlucky and instead of having to hose your brains off the undercarriage of her Prius can help you back up - if you're going to commit suicide, don't drag other people into it) and signaling.

I heart parentheses, no?

Pedalphile
06-06-2007, 02:21 PM
"if you're going to commit suicide, don't drag other people into it"

I agree! Suicide should be a solo activity, not a community project.

Cecil
06-07-2007, 10:56 AM
One cool cat practically pulled his bike to the sidewalk after spotting me in his rearview approaching the Hawthorne in-bound this morning. I was just hanging because it's narrow (and windy - hey I'm lazy). I'll start letting folks know what I'm doing - being patient- I think.

I think it is great when folks hang back rather than try to pass on a narrow stretch, but I hate it when folks hang right on my wheel while so waiting because it does make me feel as if they are trying to get me to speed up for their convenience - which, contrarian that I am, only makes me feel like slowing down a little. As for hanging back on my wheel to take advantage of what little wind break I provide I have to admit that I don't particularly appreciate someone drafting me without first letting me know that's what they are planning on doing (and making sure I don't mind). Depending on the circumstances, I generally don't mind providing a pull if asked, but I despise being tailgated.:p

beelnite
06-07-2007, 12:20 PM
I admit I've gotten carried away at times with the draft. Now, if I see I'm making someone nervous I either just pass up when safe or back off. I think it's rare folks will ride up on you and start drafting. It's either a stoplight situation or crowded area.

But fair warning - if you pass me it will probably happen unless you can distance yourself.

Just yesterday I fell in behind (stoplight scenario) an awesome cycle-gal because we were going about the same speed. There were times I could have passed, but realized there was no way in hell I could stay in front of her without forcing her to pass me again.

I just figured she'd turn off... or leave me in the dust finally about 40 blocks later - at a light, I pull up and say: "Hey I'm not going to pass you, you are too awesome and I'd be in your way."

She laughed and said: "Oh so you're riding my draft?"

So I offered to take the lead with qualification not to hate on me if I slowed her down. She said nah and then BLEW ME AWAY on the next hill.

I think I'm in Love!

Side note: One sure way to keep people off your back tire (besides not bathing): Remove your back fender in the rain and just rooster tail it. That is, if you can handle the street wash enema.

Cecil
06-07-2007, 01:44 PM
She laughed and said: "Oh so you're riding my draft?"

So I offered to take the lead with qualification not to hate on me if I slowed her down.

My hat's off to you for being a polite drafter - I cannot count the number of times on a ride someone has taken advantage of my draft and then been unwilling to return the favor. I also agree with the notion that if I am going to pass you, it had better be because I am indeed going faster than you and will out-distance you, and not just because I want to be in front of you going the same speed (forcing you to unwillingly draft me) or, worse, slower . . . .

I have been known to rooster-tail tailgaters on purpose. My favorite is when someone I don't follows me too closely on a rainy day and then complains that my fenders aren't long enough to protect him (it's always a him) from the rooster tail. There's a real easy fix for that - get off my a**:D

Pedalphile
06-07-2007, 01:46 PM
I passed somebody once--an elderly lady, in fact. But I'm pretty sure it was her walker that was slowing her down.

finallyinpdx
06-07-2007, 05:37 PM
im laughing about the suv comments, because sadly, i own one. am i your typical soccer mom, no.
im all for not using it, infact didnt even want it. i was looking into an awd wagon hybrid. the fact is i have a large crew, plus extended family that i often have to look after and i dont know how many tandems i can get away with, plus trailers for the dogs ;)
so let the hating comments pour down on me.

beelnite
06-08-2007, 09:44 AM
You know it's pretty hard to fit 3 kids, two dogs and all the family bicycles in a Prius...

One positive to SUV's: The Canyon Arrow has a larger more effective draft than the typical passenger car! Maybe as penance for the guilt ridden SUV drivers you could all slow up a bit on windy days and help us get home? You'd save gas and make a statement!

finallyinpdx
06-08-2007, 10:24 AM
You know it's pretty hard to fit 3 kids, two dogs and all the family bicycles in a Prius...

One positive to SUV's: The Canyon Arrow has a larger more effective draft than the typical passenger car! Maybe as penance for the guilt ridden SUV drivers you could all slow up a bit on windy days and help us get home? You'd save gas and make a statement!

The thought has crossed my mind... I love piling people in there, carpooling is FUN. I dont know many people that would trust a young woman in a SUV offering a ride to a stranger on a bike though ;) har har har.

The biggest proponent to having the SUV was being able to see my family in winter, whereas my super gas economical 1988 bmw could not get there with out a wing and a prayer, and, it eliminates the distraction of three boys acting like three boys in the car. I can spread them out between rows, just far enough so they cant hit each other. I was hoping to install Police grade safety glass in the bimmer so I dont have to hear them name calling and whining. haha.

brock
06-08-2007, 11:41 AM
Real carpoolers drive minvans.

Rixtir
06-08-2007, 01:19 PM
Cheers for this thread!

finallyinpdx
06-08-2007, 02:30 PM
mini van is a dirty word. ;)
have you driven rear wheel or awd?
its hard to go to front wheel after that. do they make a rwd minivan?

brock
06-08-2007, 03:03 PM
front wheel drive? rear wheel drive? who cares, it gets you and your kids to where you need to go.

i get my 'driving' thrills on my bike.

finallyinpdx
06-08-2007, 03:44 PM
yeah point taken Brock. I should assume humor is lost on this thread, eh?
;)

Jeff Wills
06-08-2007, 09:26 PM
front wheel drive? rear wheel drive? who cares, it gets you and your kids to where you need to go.

i get my 'driving' thrills on my bike.

Sorry- no kids. The wife and me carpool from the 'Couv to inner SE. We could bring the cats, but they tend to hide under the brake pedal. That'll tighten your sphincter!

BTW: I drive a Matrix. Now how do I get out? Was it the red pill or the blue pill?

Back to the thread: I try to remember to wave with all my fingers. Overall, I think I get more positive responses than negative.

Jeff

rubbish heap
06-09-2007, 12:35 AM
how about instead of all this stuff, i ride on the highway? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlRu16QYLOQ

finallyinpdx
06-09-2007, 09:45 AM
how about instead of all this stuff, i ride on the highway? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlRu16QYLOQ

Thats crazy! I saw a guy on 217 riding on the shoulder yesterday.

lazlo
06-14-2007, 03:38 PM
What choice do you have? Cars are not going away, no matter how much you wish it. All we can do is lobby for better laws and ride defensively. I seem to notice a bit more politeness from drivers over the last couple of years. I think politeness from cyclists toward anyone else on the road goes a long way to strengthening the fabric of goodwill in the world.

lazlo

vseven
06-14-2007, 07:12 PM
Is this the beginning of co-existance ?

It takes a naked bike ride

It takes communication

It takes...............

y'all finish it. :)